The Senior Trophy - live from Blackpool

Discussion in 'Spring Festival Blackpool' started by TheMusicMan, May 13, 2006.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

WISH WE HAD BEEN Sponsored, we'd have made a fortune for charity, I lost half a stone;) .......... honestly I have done longer marathons !!:biggrin:

2. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

4barsrest said:

Bass drum goes bonkers to start and ruins what what could have been a good opening. It recovers with some good playing. This was careless.

James Gourlay said:

Very good opening, lots of detailed playing.

Malcolm Brownbill said:

Good opening supplying lots of clear detail.

What a difference that box must make eh!!

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Whoever is in the box, whoever does other reviews, the comparitive results are always going to be this way Laura.

You will of course get some that match 100%, others that match 0%, with a healthy mixture in between. That is, unfortunately, what you will always get with an adjudication system that is absolutely, indisputably and entirely subjective. There can be no other way with such a system, as no human ear will hear the same thing in exactly the same way at the same time. There are too many variables.

Until there is some form of objective measurement in our adjudication system, such as the brilliant start at this Alan Morrisson has recently presented, perception of competition results will always be thus.

4. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I agree totally, and I'm not moaning, I just though it was funny to see such a massive contrast!

Anyway it was great to catch up with so many people, I was so pleased for Kingdom Brass, get in! I can't believe that only a wee while before the results I'd just said to Kerry and Carol "won't you feel silly if you win and you're not in the photo" because I was trying to get them to stay a bit longer and they said "Nah, like we're going to win like" before toddling off to the hotel......

5. Bungle

Bungle Member

Alan recently adjudicated the SCABA Hove contest and we assumed he would be following his criteria published in the article in the Bandsman (or was it brass band world). We were happy coming second in our section, but LGB and Sussex Brass may have something to say about the result.

We had his article read out to us at a rehearsal and the general gist was that you don't have to play to the exact tempo and dynamics as long as the detail and flow is still there. Which I think is a good thing.

6. Meg

Meg Member

I was pleased to see Thoresby promoted, not because I know anyone in the band (I don't!) but I heard them play and thought they gave a brilliant performance. Real hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck-stands-on-end stuff! Well done. Also well done to Staines.

7. Heather

Heather Member

I agree about Thoresby too. I heard 10 bands play altogether, before and after ourselves and thought Thoresby were the best I heard, closely followed by Marsden. I didn't hear Kingdom Brass so can't comment.

8. BOB

BOB Member

Heather and Meg,

Thank you so much for your positive comments about our performance - It's nice to hear fellow competitors being so complimentory. A personal thanks for our stand in principal cornet, Andrew Smith from Celynen Colliery (Newbridge)- top drawer performance despite severe exhaustion !!

Bob
    Thoresby Colliery

9. Meg

Meg Member

You're welcome (although I wasn't strictly a competitor as I was in the Cup but that's splitting hairs I guess)! Yours and Staines were the only performances I heard in the Trophy and thought both were very good, although I thought yours had the edge slightly, (more contrast in dynamics I think) but hey, what do I know?! Still pleased to see Staines promoted, as a fellow L&SC-er.

Best of luck in the Cup next year.