The Samba Boys are in town - at last!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by dyl, Jun 13, 2006.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Looking forward to finally seeing Brazil kick off! Just hope they manage to live up to the hype!

Incidentally - I always thought it was the defending champions who kicked off the tournament? When did it change to the host nation? Cos I'm pretty sure it was France who kicked off in 2002 vs Senegal, and the Brazilians kicked off in France '98 against Scotland?

It's a bit weird having to wait 5 days to see the current champions.
  2. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

OK own up, who let the Brazilian team go out on the Razz last night?, cause TBH that was a pretty average performance from the World Champions. Granted I only got to see the second half but their defense had more holes than Tetleys Tea bag! I couldn't help thinking that if Croatia had had a couple of class finishers Brazil would have been on the rough end of a 3-1 drubbing.
    Still England did about the same so perhaps it's one of those 'first game in the bag' syndromes. (did someone put a couple of lead weights in Ronaldo's shoes?) saying that Ronaldinio (sp?) still looked class.
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

To be fair - that's more or less always been the case with Brazilian teams - but then they've had the forwards to compenstate for the defensive weaknesses - whereas tonight, like you say, Ronaldo and Adriano were missing!

Good job they had Ronaldinho and the excellent Kaka - superb goal. Croatia were unlucky - with so many chances being there or thereabouts.

A bit daunting for other teams though to thin kthat a well below par Brazil stil lmanaged to create quite a few chances.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Give credit to Croatia though ... they did a good containing job and made quite a few chances themselves, regardless of how Brazil were seen to be!
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was a good game, but there was plenty in it to give the other 31 nations some hope of beating them. Croatoa were unlucky not to come away with at least a point.

Ronaldo? On that performance? Wouldn't get in the Huddersfield squad. :-?
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

For Ronaldo to mark his 100th cap for his country by looking totally disinterested..... well I hope he's dropped! I think Mr Creosote looked fitter!

Brazil were, by their standards, average at best (cracking goal, though) but with the potential for 7 games in around 25 days, particularly with the weather being what it is in Germany, it's maybe not a good idea to go all guns blazing right from the off. (Which is perhaps why the England critics ought to get off their backs.... for now!)
  7. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

I've said for a long time that Brazil won't win, so I hope they are going to prove me right by putting in performances like that.
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

What on earth is Ronaldo on...? He just doesn't seem to even be there?
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

After watching Brazil's second game, I'm not convinced by them ... they will have to step up a few gears if they think they are capable of retaining their title!
  10. dyl

dyl Active Member

A pizza diet apparently.