The Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble - Bromley 31.5.03

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by PeterBale, May 23, 2003.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not a brass band concert, I know, but I shall be wearing my other hat and playing saxophone with the Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble next Saturday. The programme is at Bromley Temple in Ethelbert Road, commencing at 7pm, admission by donation ticket, £4.

We are a group that gets together three times a year to rehearse in the afternoon and present a concert in the evening. Composers featured will include Andrew Mackereth, who does most of the conducting, Michael Babb and Alan Laken, one of our founder members who died suddenly last year.

If you fancy hearing something a little different, come along. If anyone does attend, make sure you come up and say hello!

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just to say the concert went well, despite losing our first trumpet to illness at the last minute. Rather poignant moment when we played "From age to age", variations on The Old Hundredth, which was the last piece Alan Laken was working on just before he died.

It was quite a reunion for some of us, as in the audience were Maurice Cooper and Geoff Havercroft, under whose batons a number of us had played, together with Bob Foster of the ISB. We also played out with 4 horns for the first time ever (3 french and one tenor) and it was really good having the four of them sitting behind me!

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Yes, I can imagine. Never, EVER sit behind french horns. It's one of the bigger perils of the orchestral trumpet player. If horns faced forward they'd all be out of a job.

Glad to hear the concert went well.

D