The saddest noise in the world.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Leyfy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

..... was the tiny little *crunch* the screen on my iPod made when I knelt on it :frown:

(not my new 80 gig one luckily!)

Its probably the most expensive thing I own that I have accidentally trashed (apart from my car!). Anyone going to make me feel better and tell me they've managed to ruin something expensive or irreplaceable by mistake?!
  2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Nope :biggrin:
  3. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

The worse sound I ever heard was during the 3 pace rolls going on to do a beating retreat, I put the batter skin through on my snare drum. The worst part was knowing that one of the pieces we were about to play was St Louis Blues, with loads of snare drum solos, without a snare drum.
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Umpteen times.

Best I remember was frying three AMD Athlon processors (at £120 a pop) whilst experimenting with a bit of overclocking. Eventually got the fourth one to work, but it did prove to be an expensive bit of testing. With a little hole drilled in one corner they do make nice little christmas tree decorations though.

I've also managed to lose a very expensive mobile down a loo pan whilst I was stretching over it to reach something on the shelf behind. It was in my shirt pocket and just slipped out.

Last week my wee boy managed to smack his light sabre off a very expensive two year old LCD telly causing a crack in the screen. Thats not been replaced yet but I have warned my wife that it is going to happen before Christmas. The light sabre has been banned from the sitting room now.

I reversed over my works laptop after leaving the bag propped against the car then forgetting about it before I drove off. And that also reminds me about the time that I left a digital camera on the roof of the car whilst fishing for my keys. I remembered about that one as I heard it bumping across the roof of the car and I watched in the mirror as it smacked off the tarmac.

Best thing about all these accidents though is that you get to replace broken toys with newer ones whilst learning a salutory lesson about looking after things better.
  5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Cheers! LOL
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I had an OHNO second with a very expensive 3 week old camera when I was off in Rome with a school party. I was sure the strap was around my wrist so I let go.

Other than that, I can't think of any!
  7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

That crunching sound when I reversed my Rolls Royce into the neighbours ferrari!

that was a scary dream
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I saw the result of an expensive one - a Monette trumpet that had been reversed over whilst in a soft gig bag - one very expensive, squished trumpet.
    That must have made a good noise.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A big OUCH! The noise must have come from the owner ... :eek:

I was giving my Maestro tuba a bath in soda crystals for the first time and when I was lifting it out, the phone rang and it slipped from my fingers. I've got a nice dent in my bottom bow and repairers (apart from Yamaha) said that they won't risk fixing it! :redface:
  10. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

my baritone falling over in the bandroom and damaging the 1st valve so I can't play on it.
  11. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

My cornet hitting the road and bouncing along the gutter whilst marching on St George's day 2 years ago...... First valve has never been the same since sob!
  12. Di

Di Active Member

My baritone bell, in it's very early days, accidentally got hold of it by the tuning slide rather than the bottom. One severely crumped bell. Had to have the bell cut off and replaced. And yup, I've also had a couple of cars written off, but I have to say, thankfully, neither was my fault. :cool:
  13. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I remember the day I decided to fit an additional door lock to my living room patio door. I also remember the sound and sight of the entire glass panel shattering above me as I drilled the wooden frame. I now have UPVC. And a healthy fear of DIY.
  14. T Winch

T Winch Member

Not my own property but many years ago while working in a posh hotel in London (the big one opposite The Goat) I was parking a guests brand new Mercedes 600SEL in the notoriously tight underground car park when I failed to negotiate a concrete pillar and managed to cave the rear passenger door in. This was bad enough but the car had just been delivered back to the hotel after being repaired from when another staff member had done exactly the same thing on exactly the same pillar the previous week. Also had a similar experience a few years before this with a Bentley :biggrin:
  15. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

The saddest noise for me is scrapping my alloys on my car, it hurts me for weeks. Just paid £55 to get them sorted.
  16. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Today's moment of ground-opening embarrassment, as I drove my son's Jaguar into the side of a passing Smart car. The sound of shattering plastic as the Jag's bumper flew off and the Smart car stood barely scratched! Who'd have bet on that result? My son, forever the opportunist, reminded me of my 'careful driving' speech when he passed his test 13 years ago, plus my need to tell him that he should drive slower and pay more attention at road junctions. 'Do as I say, not as I do', how that rings in my ears!!!:oops:
  17. numptycornet

numptycornet Member

My Mum took my son to his grade 5 exam as I couldn't get off work and managed to drop his cornet at the top of an escalator. The case burst open and the whole lot went top to bottom. Fortunately the thing was still playable although badly dented (fixed now) but my son was in a bit of a state when he got to the exam room.

She waited until the exam was over before they rung me at work to tell me.
  18. When I first past my driving test, 2 years ago, I had 2 accident in the space of a few months. The first one I hit the side of a narrow bridge when dropping a friend off after band rehearsals - that was a lovely crunching noise. (My parents are yet to find out about that one too...)

The second one was in a car park at night and I hit a very nice BMW X5 - that wasn't a fun experience. He got away quite lucky I thought. My car was worse off yet it cost a bomb to get his bumper fixed on my insurance - cuh! Mine was fixed courtesy of ebay and my Dad!
  19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Bumpers are notoriously expensive to replace. They are usually a single all in one piece of plastic/carbon fibre which is why the part costs so much. Then there's painting, and of couse with a solid enough hit any garage would want to check that the chassis wasn't misaligned too.

Much better off to scrape them along the side :)
  20. I'll remember that one for next time John :lol: although, now I have my own car I'm much more careful. I was in my mums when I hit the X5!