The Role of the Euphonium

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Hi,

I'm currently writing a simple 6/8 dance movement (potential part of a test piece) and one thing stops me in my tracks every time I aim to complete a significant brass composition, and that is the role of the Euphonium.

I've studied a few scores and it seems to me that the use of the Euphonium is not constant between pieces.

Sometimes it's used for melody, sometimes for chordal arpeggio's as an accompaniment, and sometimes just off beat 'um-chuck' type accompaniment.

The hard part is deciding which of these to use in this particular piece. Hard without hearing it I know, but it's a hurdle which I must definitely clear if I'm to take composition all the way at uni (and in life!).

Thanks for any help!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Euphonium
    Euphonium Hi
    test piece
    type accompaniment
    Role
  3. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

also used as a cello, basson, and operatic tenor. Plus a double for the bassline, especially in older works. It's the leader of the lower band. All these roles can be in the same piece, the sound you are seeking will determine what the euphonium does. Not normally used just for chords, unless as an upper bassline or fifth in the bass.

Hope that helps

4. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Please no off-beat um-chucks! Either: nice soaring obbligato/counter melody, or lots of tasty semi-quaver runs. Please :)

5. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Don't forget the climax MUST be on a note above top C

6. The sole purpose of any euph is to play the particularly tricky Eb bass / trombone / baritone solo's in any given piece.
    Oh and to play the melody line in christmas carols if there are no cornets available for said christmas concert.
    ;)

Andy, tongue firmly in cheek