The right mouthpiece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Crazysop, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size mouthpiece is best for playing sop. I've been playing sop for nearly 2 years after a move from front row and have tried a Dennis wick s which i found gave me a big fat sound but i struggled with anything over c on the stave. I'm currently on a schilke 11ax which is ok register wise but gives me a thin sound and is rather fluffy when playing quiet!!!! any suggestions would be grand!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpiece
    anyone
    wick
    move
    front row
  3. Soppy

Soppy Member

I currently use a Schilke 10b4, and whilst the tone can be a bit thin, it isn't too bad.

You could try a C cup cornet mouthpiece. I used to use a VB 1.5C and it sounded good and the range wasn't too bad (although not as good as the Schilke mpc, but better than the DW). You could try a Sparx C cup mpc. I've just got one of their normal cornet ones and it's fantastic on the Bb. I read a post somewhere from a Sop player who uses that and he said it was great.

4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Until a few years ago I always played sop on a Dennis Wick 'S', then I started experimenting. I tried Giardinelli, shilke, Bach and some other Wicks.

I always play on a Bach 1.5c now. I can still hit the high notes but have a bigger sound.

:guiness

5. skweeky

skweeky Member

Hi, i currently play sop for blackpool brass and the lancashire youth band. Ive only been on sop for just over a year now. I play on a 'Wick S' but was wondering if anyone has come accross a similar "sounding" mouthpiece, but slightly less "stressful" in the higher register. At the moment the sound and tuning is great but anything about a top A is hard to push out on this mouthpiece. Any help at all would be great! thanks a lot.

6. Soppy

Soppy Member

The DW mouthpiece is stupidly deep for a Soprano. You've got to work sooo hard to get high.

Like I said above, if you're looking for a better range but still quite a full sound, try the Vincent Back 1.5C. If you want even more range, you can try a Schilke mpc, but it can get thin at times if you're not careful.

7. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Thanx guys!!! I might give one of those a whirl!!!!! Might even help get that top c I need for the areas!!!!!

8. skweeky

skweeky Member

how much will a vincent bach 1.5c set me back?? and is it noticably smaller in diameter meanin ill have to percivere for a bit????

9. Soppy

Soppy Member

10. squeakypete_frb

squeakypete_frb New Member

i would recomend jet tone mouthpieces these are shallow but they have a huge rim and this works for me. but with regards to the dw s being to deep that is not right. the best sop player in my area plays on a dw2 and i am all sure that you have heard of les palmer from every ready well thats what he was using the time i spoke to him. i would send a pm to kerwintootle she is a great help

Edit: Duplicate post deleted (RT)