The right mouthpiece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Crazysop, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size mouthpiece is best for playing sop. I've been playing sop for nearly 2 years after a move from front row and have tried a Dennis wick s which i found gave me a big fat sound but i struggled with anything over c on the stave. I'm currently on a schilke 11ax which is ok register wise but gives me a thin sound and is rather fluffy when playing quiet!!!! any suggestions would be grand!!
  2. Soppy

Soppy Member

I currently use a Schilke 10b4, and whilst the tone can be a bit thin, it isn't too bad.

You could try a C cup cornet mouthpiece. I used to use a VB 1.5C and it sounded good and the range wasn't too bad (although not as good as the Schilke mpc, but better than the DW). You could try a Sparx C cup mpc. I've just got one of their normal cornet ones and it's fantastic on the Bb. I read a post somewhere from a Sop player who uses that and he said it was great.
  3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Until a few years ago I always played sop on a Dennis Wick 'S', then I started experimenting. I tried Giardinelli, shilke, Bach and some other Wicks.

I always play on a Bach 1.5c now. I can still hit the high notes but have a bigger sound.

4. skweeky

skweeky Member

Hi, i currently play sop for blackpool brass and the lancashire youth band. Ive only been on sop for just over a year now. I play on a 'Wick S' but was wondering if anyone has come accross a similar "sounding" mouthpiece, but slightly less "stressful" in the higher register. At the moment the sound and tuning is great but anything about a top A is hard to push out on this mouthpiece. Any help at all would be great! thanks a lot.
  5. Soppy

Soppy Member

The DW mouthpiece is stupidly deep for a Soprano. You've got to work sooo hard to get high.

Like I said above, if you're looking for a better range but still quite a full sound, try the Vincent Back 1.5C. If you want even more range, you can try a Schilke mpc, but it can get thin at times if you're not careful.
  6. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Thanx guys!!! I might give one of those a whirl!!!!! Might even help get that top c I need for the areas!!!!!
  7. skweeky

skweeky Member

how much will a vincent bach 1.5c set me back?? and is it noticably smaller in diameter meanin ill have to percivere for a bit????
  8. Soppy

Soppy Member

9. squeakypete_frb

squeakypete_frb New Member

i would recomend jet tone mouthpieces these are shallow but they have a huge rim and this works for me. but with regards to the dw s being to deep that is not right. the best sop player in my area plays on a dw2 and i am all sure that you have heard of les palmer from every ready well thats what he was using the time i spoke to him. i would send a pm to kerwintootle she is a great help

Edit: Duplicate post deleted (RT)