The Return of the X Factor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Well it's back - The live finals are up and running - and Simon, although trying to be nicer, is as cutting as ever. :clap:

I've really enjoyed the last few years competition. I have got really enthused, really excited, voted, (sad I know :redface: ). But there is something missing this year. I was really disappointed with all performances last night. Everyone sounded weak. Okay, most of the finalists can sing, but it's that something special that's missing, I think! :confused:

Whether it was the theme of the night, Motown, that the contestants couldn't get to grips with, I don't know, maybe next week, when the theme is Rod Stewart songs, it may improve.

If I had to pick my top two from last night it would have to be Ben, with his 'gruff' voice, and possibly Robert for his 'entertaining' performance. But neither excited me enough to get me to vote.

Let's hope things improve next week!

A really disappointed X-Factor fan! :frown:
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I totally agree with you Sue - there is definately something missing this year. They should rname the programme 'Factor' :)
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe the 'K' (karaoke) Factor? ;)
  4. Di

Di Active Member

Or the Y Factor.

There are those who can and those who can't. Why do so many who so obviously can't put themselves in front of the panel to get themselves humiliated?
  5. gawber

gawber Active Member

I prefer to tune into Strictly Come Dancing on a Saturday night. I can always catch repeats of the rather disappointing (this series) X-Factor on ITV 2 or ITV 1 on Sunday.
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

or the "K" (kack) factor?

Sorry, I just don't get this programme. I must be getting old, 'cos most telly just does my head in these days, especially this sort of cheap-as-chips brain-dead talent show. I wouldn't mind if they wrote their own songs, but it is merely (as BN implies) an upmarket karaoke contest, and a launchpad for another load of ghastly Gareth Young Will Gates cover versions, just in time for Christmas.

:oops: [dismounts Meldrew-style soapbox]
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Shall I put you down as a "maybe" there?? ;)

I have to say I agree - this year I got as far as Louis' auditions which consisted of most of the groups systematically murdering REM's lovely "Everybody Hurts". I'd have put none of them through myself. I had to listen to the original to clense myself.
  8. Di

Di Active Member

Hehe, or the O factor, because when that comes on, its time to turn the TV Off. :tongue:
  9. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Slightly off topic but the X Factor auditions are a total con. One of the young people I work with asked me to take her to the auditions in Manchester which me and my colleague duly did (cracking for the mileage - 140 miles at Local Gov rate and 4 hours TOIL). Anyway, once we had queued for a few hours and had the annoying throng of 'producers' (read: Students in X Factor T Shirts with ID Badges on Lanyards) shouting at us through megaphones, we were told that before you see Louis, Simon and Shazza you have to pass TWO seperate auditions with producers first - on two seperate days!!!

Needless to say my young person could sing average - so did not tip the binary button of either freak or unique. She was gutted but hey ho, we call it character building.

Basically, when you see these muppets on the TV and the supposed 'shock' of the TV Judges, these acts have already been passed TWICE by producers.

Absolute waste of TV time, but what do I know, I like the new Robin Hood.
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Emma Bunton to win!!

Oh sorry, wrong reality talent show! :oops:
  11. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I've never really been a fan of Popstars, Pop Idol, X-Factor etc...there's always something better to watch/do on a Saturday night!!
  12. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Why bother to run the show? These type of shows really irritate me as most of the contestants are no more than professional karaoke singers.:ranting2:
  13. Bungle

Bungle Member

A work colleage whos daughter went along to auditions said the same thing. So the really bad singers you see infront of the pannel have been let through for 'enertainment value' i.e to be laughed at. Not that I am against these talent shows, after all we wouldn't have Girls Aloud strutting round in black PVC suits if it wasn't for shows like this :p
  14. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Good point well made
  15. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

WeyHey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Possibly the ONLY good think to come out of X-Factor?
  16. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Wrong --they came out of Pop-Stars - the rivals.

So if they are the the ONLY good think to come out of X-Factor .... and they weren't in it .... then nothing good came out of the X-Factor ---- mmmmmm... that just sounds about right.
  17. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

OOOOOOOOPs You're right forgot about that show. Thats how good they are ppl can't remember them.
  18. flower girl

flower girl Member

Any body else fins simon cowell strangely attractive, whenever he's on tv i just refuse to change channel :oops:
  19. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

TIMBONE Active Member

Julie and I love Simon Cowell. We have watched a programme about him and I have read his autobiography. Temperamentally, he is not someone that everyone would find easy to be on the receiving end of! He tells the truth, 'cuts to the chase', and is very self opinionated - he is allowed to be, because he has proved that in the area of entertainment (what the public want, not what other people think they should want) he knows what he is talking about. We would have a drink with him, as we already do with Matthew & Son on ouir regular visits to Benidorm - who Simon said were 'horrific' :p (By the way, Matthew is the son and Dad is Colin).