The Return of the Hamster

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Jan 28, 2007.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Tonight, ladies, Richard Hammond returns to Top Gear. Are we ready? (swoon, swoon...)
    Not sure I'm looking forward to seeing the crash footage though. I may have my paws over my eyes at that point.
    BMB
    xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Return of the Hamster
    Top Gear
    ladies
    Richard Hammond
    swoon
  3. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

Ready to swoon? Too right!!!!!

4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

It's Top Gear :D
    I love Hamster even if he does look disturbingly like my PE teacher who is a woman.

5. bigmamabadger

Oh dear. I cried. How sad is that?
    BMB
    xx

6. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Very sad, BMB, very sad. Don't worry. I'm sure there's an excellent badger therapist out there.
    Good luck
    xxx

7. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Did you see the perspiration on his temple after watching that crash again?

Poor love, even Clarkson seemed a little choked

8. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I know, when he was talking, I thought he was going to top it with a joke, but he didn't, he was sincere about it. Apart from the booster seat joke to lighten the mood.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you think Richard Hammond looks like a woman? Or has your PE teacher been taking male hormone pills? :eek:

10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It was the reference he made to there being one hell of a crash before he set off the first time that amused me...many a true word spoken in jest eh? :rolleyes:

It's a bloomin good job they took the safety aspect so seriously beforehand, wrist straps etc....

Good to see him back on the telly tho, the three of them make up the best presenting team on the box.
    How long till they mention the crash again tho?

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I liked the suggestion that it could be in line for the record for the fastest ever crash . . . only they would have to repeat it going in the opposite direction :clap:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Return of the Hamster
    Top Gear
    ladies
    Richard Hammond
    swoon
  13. Texus

Texus Member

After an ages waiting missed the damn thing! Saw the crash on one of his interviews - wow....

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Top Gear is repeated on Wednesdays, BBC2 at 7pm.

15. flower girl

flower girl Member

its really taken a toll on him though, he's really aged, (still gorgeous though) i couldnt believe it when i saw the footage of the crash, so glad he's ok

16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yeah, he looked about 17 last night! :mad: :tongue:

Know what you mean though! :biggrin:

17. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Thank you! :woo

Was going to ask if anyone knew this, as I missed it last night due to a band practice :rolleyes: and forgot to record it.

Actually, I'm out on Wednesday too. Better go and set it now while I think on........

18. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Did anyone else see this comment on the crash?

19. bigmamabadger

"Mr Hammond had a puncture and carried on with the tyre deflated"
    But I thought the telemmetry showed that between the tyre blow-out and the crash was 0.4 seconds. He can hardly be blamed for "carrying" for 0.4 seconds...
    And I thought it didn't have a brake as such, only a parachute and a parking brake.
    This is not a popular man in the badger sett... I shall go and dig up his lawn I think.
    HAMSTER IS INNOCENT!
    BMB
    xx

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hmm personally if I was travelling at 250mph without a tyre on one of my front wheels I think I'd stand on pretty much everything I could find in order to slow down. Anyway the parachute would have been as much use as a chocolate teapot as it simply wouldn't deploy in the time it took the car to veer off the runway. In fact I'd be very impressed if the Hamster had time to react at all - maybe he hit the brakes, but by then I'd say the situation was pretty much unrecoverable. It sounds to me like a desperate man trying to wash his hands...

I guess the only way of avoiding the resulting accident was if Hamster noticed the tyre start to de-laminate and got to the parachute before it actually blew out. The reaction to the parachute would (I figure) pull the front of the car upwards, taking the load off the tyre. Maybe, just maybe it would've stayed inflated. Anyway this is all pretty unlikely as I guess he couldn't see much out of the cockpit anyway, and as he said he was "a bit busy at the time"...

It was good to see him back on telly again and looking well. It was a hugely entertaining show on Sunday - loved the roadworks film too. The reactions of "the other two" to the accident film and the frank way Hamster was talking shows just how close they are as a team.

21. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Sounds more like a man edging his bets and trying to make sure the insurance pays out too by laying the blame at someone else's door.

Fact is if you don't want an untrained man to crash your very expensive rocket propelled car, you don't allow him to get in it in the first place.

22. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Looking at the replay, the right front tyre had started to delaminate slightly before it totally failed. I don't think any driver, experienced or not would have noticed that happening because the road surface was so bumpy. From the footage of the other runs, you could see how much Hammond's head was moving and all he would have been able to see was a blur.
    It would be fascinating to see a telemetry trace of the accident to see what actually went on inside the car before and during the crash as I think a lot of what is being said here hearsay.