The real LBB

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Laserbeam bass, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The reduced life story of Thomas Elsom son of Will the Sec (see extremely mature elder brother at age 7 3/4 for explanation):

Started in music at the age of 8 on recorder, violin at 10, and playing in brass bands from the age of 17 3/4. I am part of the 0.05% of the population to have Grade 8 Recorder, in addition grade 5 vilolin and no formal grades on brass. I sung in a choir for 20 years, and played in orchestras from beginners right up to a full blown symphony orchestra.

First band was Harlow. I was invited by my borther Will the Sec, and sat on 3rd cornet. At the interval my borther asked if I was alright as I had been shooting him dagger glances during the 1st half. I suggested to him in somewhat less polite terms, that the 3rd cornet part wasn't challenging me, and could I possibly move up to 2nd for the second half of the rehearsal. Three weeks later on sop and a year later working my way down on to horn. Waltham Forest (now known as East London) was next and I currently play BBb bass with Becontree Brass Band.

I have two moments that I will remember for totally different reasons.
    1) Winning the 2nd section at L&SC 2004
    2) Playing a piece on sop (Will may remember which one) getting something wrong, using an Expletive of four letters, putting my instrument back up an continuing to play, leaving the conductor flummoxed as to who had made the mistake, and where.

I have been unemployed for 16 months since being made redundant by Abbey National, where I worked for 13 years, the last 6 as a fraud investigator. Taken the time to go around the world and visit friends and family, and take in the US open in Chicago. Hopefully will have a job by Christmas, otherwise I will have to stow away on Will's flight out of here, and be an illegal in the U S of A.

I am openly looking to complete the full set of instruments in contests, so am willing to play Bb Cornet, Baritone (1st, as I could never demean myself by playing 2nd bari) or Bass Trombone. All offers gratefully received. I would like to categorically state that any offer of percussion work will be treated with contempt.

Nice one tMP team, keep up the great work.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    part
    LBB
    life story
    son
    brother
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Hope you get a job soon, Tom. I know how it feels struggling to find work! ;)

4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

As a fellow bass player, I just would like to show LBB some brotherly love!

5. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I'd also like to state that I didn't realise how old this post was.....

Till I saw Dave Payns name on it :D

( where are you now Mr Payn?, and more importantly whos going to resurrect the anagram thread :D )......

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008