The queen drives a vauxhall saloon!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by The Cornet King, Apr 1, 2004.

1. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

The good old Daily Mail gave me my annual April Fools Day chuckle this morning!

Anyone who has a copy will see that on Page 3 (of all pages!) the queen is seen allegedly exiting her vauxhall salloon with corgi's in tow, and placing a 'sizeable sum' in a William Hill bookies on Saturday's National!

Even pictures to prove it!..and she even checks the form guide...sign of a true pro! :lol: :lol:

I seem to remember that last year the 'Mail' reported that the infamous red herring was seen swimming our rivers for the first time in a century or something! :lol:

Any other papers have an amusing story today??

2. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I'm sure The Sun would have come up with something but that wouldn't be anything unusual! :p

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Anyone got any thoughts as to whether the "Nuclear Precautions" one is a spoof or not?

It seems far-fetched, but then you see some of the actual newsreels from the period and you can't help wondering :shock:

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Indeed, it was the Sun that carried the famous headline 'Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster' Still, it MAY have been true, cos a diet like that would certainly give him an excuse to appear, as he has done (or more to ponce about like a has been celeb) on Celebrity Git Club or whatever it's called.....

5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I must admit to wondering that myself. Seems stereotypically British though, so its probably true!
    Bowler Hat and stiff upper lip and all.
    :roll:
    :wink:

6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

For this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix they have suddenly discovered (after five years of planning) that there is an awful lot of sand in the desert. The sand blows across the track which creates problems for roadholding and can also cause engine failure.

So the authorities are spraying a special kind of glue onto the surrounding desert in order to prevent sand movement.

April fool? No, this is all sadly true.

D

7. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Just heard on BBC Radio that France and Germany are withdrawing from the Euro and joining Sterling. Spain and Portugal to follow shortly.

Hmmm. Now, where are those funny pills :shock: :? :shock: :? :p :shock:

8. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

The local paper in Banbury has run an article today saying that Banbury is to have an "Angel Of The North" type statue built overlooking the M40. This is to be a Trojan Horse type sculpture (from the Nursery rhyme "Ride A Cock Horse To Banbury Cross").

Wonder how many phone calls they've had today complaining??!!!!

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Probably not as many as Auntie Beeb has had about "Underneath the Arches", the fat n funky remix of the Archers theme tune Barwick Green!!! I actually believed it until someone called the old theme reactionary....... D'oh! :oops:

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I remember when I was small seeing an advert for an "Emperor-sized" mars bar. The ad took up a whole page of broadsheet, with the words "Actual size" underneath... needless to say I begged my mother for about 5 minutes before she pointed out it was a joke... it was worse than finding out the truth about santa and the tooth fairy...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Anyone
    Daily Mail
    sum
    Page 3
    bookies
  12. rutty

rutty Active Member

It's true!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3589239.stm

I'm assuming you're on about the thing with the chickens?

As an aside, here's a gadget for those that like their bluetooth:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/blubru.htm

13. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

My daughter rung me in work today (she is supposed to be revising for AS levels) to ask if you can get negatively charged water. I said that I had heard of heavy water, an extra Hydrogen atom giving a positivity but didn't think that negative water was possible.

She had been watching GMTV and they said that a new product for slimmers had been devised, negative water. The negative charge reacted with the positive charge on fats to netralise and remove them being excreted 'in the usual way'. My wife was almost on her way to Boots to ask if they could get her some until I reminded them of the date!

14. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I saw the article at 'our lass'' house. I was howling with laughter. It started off as quite believable until they interviewed a guy from Cleckheaton who had lost 2 stone in 3 months.

Spaghetti trees!

15. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

16. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

heh, our local radio station were circulating a story about a 'red legged pheasant' that had been spotted in mk. apparently the bird steals your hair from your head, but only if you stand out eg. really vibrant blonde, ginger etc therefore anyone who wasnt brunette was advised to stay inside or wear a hat all day....

17. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Erm what do you mean the truth? What are you trying to say? :cry: :shock:

18. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Santa isn't real...ly fat, he's a skinny little bloke who has to wear padding. He used to be fat, but unfortunately he got a bad case of psittacosis (work with me here) off the reindeer, so wound up losing a lot of weight.

19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well apparently they're having some sort of sordid affair...

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Was that a molar giving you a tip-off :?: :wink: :lol: