"The Queen" at the Areas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di, Mar 15, 2004.

?

Should "The Queen" be played by the first band or the last band?

1. First band

75.0%
  2. Last band

3.1%
  3. Not at all!

21.9%
  1. Di

Di Active Member

Sorry, Mods if this has been discussed before but this must be a very mucg discussed topic amongst players, but I have seen no mention of it on here as yet.

Is it an unfair system that has the band drawn number one to play the queen? It naturally gives them not only the chance to "blow away any cobwebs" and help get rid of first note nerves, but also to "test" the stage for sound. I know it is said that its "the tradition" for The Queen to be played, but at other major musical events or concerts, The Queen is played at the end. Surely it would be fairer for the last band to play after their performance at the conclusion of the contest.

So, can of worms open, please vote now.

2. Trigger

Trigger Member

Yeah, that's a good point, I never thought of it like that. The only other way to look at it, is that when you get drawn first, sometimes you don't even have time to warm up. I mean I remember the Stevenage Area when we have been drawn first, and literally had to run off the coach to registration and hardly had a chance to warm through, so it is useful being able to play the queen. Bands that play later can warm up till their hearts content, although it is c**p being drawn last! I guess i'm a bit of a traditionalist (in the brass band sense) and would have to say keep it as it is.

3. Lotta

Lotta Member

I think it can be a good thing when you have to play it if you're the first band on at a contest but in our concerts, we always play it at the very end of our programme!

Maybe it should be at the end..... the BBC always finish with "The Queen" when they finish broadcasting at night!!

:lol:

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Definatly first!

5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Personal preference would be to not play it at all, but if it has to be somewhere, then the end would appear to give less of an advantage.

6. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I don't think it really makes a difference, we were drawn first at Stevenage last year and still came last :(

7. jambo

jambo Member

First!

It signifys the opening of a National event thus needs to first.

As for helping a band warm up I dont think it matters. Anyone at the Grand shield in 1999 'Comedy Overture' will know what I mean. Nuff said.

8. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Shouldn't be played at all.

Sam

9. Personally I don't see why it should be played at all. If it is played for the reason above then why not just play it before the first section to compete on the first day of the first area contest, i.e. not at every one. It's the Nationals that's the national event NOT the areas (hence the name!! :lol: )

10. Tuba Dave

Tuba Dave Member

anthem

Last year in the west of England the 3rd and 4th sections both started at the same time, but neither of the bands drawn 1st played it! :roll:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Areas Sorry
    Mods
    Queen
    band drawn number
    concerts
  12. Di

Di Active Member

Mr (and Ms) Mods.

Reading through the replies here makes me realise there should have been a third option on the vote. :oops:

Could one of you possibly help please? :D

13. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

I am with those that say it should not be played at all.

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Done!

15. Di

Di Active Member

Dyl, as ever, on the ball. Brilliant speedy service. I thank you kind sir. :D

16. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

But what if it is played badly, then this could have an adverse effect and possibly influence the adjudicator???

How many bands practise the queen just in case they are drawn 1?

(btw - i would love no.1 slot - more time in the bar, :guiness, but then I'm not a huge contesting fan :D )

17. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

He he He. i know what you mean. Pure Quality

18. bonehead

bonehead New Member

Not at all!

Might be slightly off topic, but I'm sure I remember a band being disqualifed because one of their players refused to play it!

19. Tuba Miriam

Tuba Miriam Member

Playing the national anthem at band contests is an anachronism that should have been dispensed with long ago, but if it must be played then let the first band play it and have the benefit of an onstage warm up; after all, it's only fair there's some advantage to having the duffest draw of the day.

20. mabel

mabel New Member

Playing the Queen first can be a good thing and a bad thing. it is the first thing the adjudicator hears, is the band in tune, bad intonation etc., also the first band on also get longer to warm up than everyone else and longer to set up the stage as well. is that fair?

21. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

well it's a good warm up peice and a bit of heritage like it or not but be careful to make it a good un!! :wink:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Areas Sorry
    Mods
    Queen
    band drawn number
    concerts