The Proclaimers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SuperMosh, Aug 17, 2007.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

500 Hundred Miles.

Yep I know, not the best piece of music to ever grace our charts but some of the youth band at Gresley would like to play it.

Anyone know of an arrangement?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Proclaimers
    Gresley
    charts
    youth band
    Miles
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Think Alan Fernie has done one. Don't know if it's in print.

4. Steve S

Steve S New Member

My advice is dissuade them!!!!

I ****** hate that song. Abject pish!!!!:oops:
    I know they're young but education in musical taste has to start somewhere.
    Mr Fernie should know better.:wink:
    Steve.

5. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Bah Humbug Mr Stewart!!!!!

Andy Duncan has also recently completed an arrangement of this. Not sure if in print yet.

6. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Yes Steve, I do know better - it is certainly not Scotland's finest musical moment, but.......well, you know the rest. Cameron Mabon's done one too - surely we all can't be wrong!

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Wha???? Surely it is! :biggrin:

Perhaps you'd arrange some Big Country as well, Alan?

8. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Ace - where do I get a sample / order details etc

9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Its a classic!! Uni 80's nights in the late 90's wouldn't have been the same without walking 500 miles.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe you can arrange a medley of music from the twins and their other famous neighbour Jimmy Shand? :rolleyes:

11. tubabum

tubabum New Member

oooo Fernie does Shand

Can I say that?????????:confused:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Proclaimers
    Gresley
    charts
    youth band
    Miles
  13. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Next it'll be the Bay City Rollers! Help ma Boab!

Shang a Lang!!!

Bye bye baby anyone???

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- or Sidney Devine, The Corries and poassibly The Alexander Brothers too! ;) (... I'll omit Andy Stewart!). hoots mon!

15. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

A few things to address here!

Will; Yes, I can appreciate that it's popular - we were still all going mental here when it came on, before Peter Kay etc. got a hold of it. It's just not a big favourite of mine, and frankly it sounds daft being played by a brass band... the punters still love it, though!! And I do draw the line at Big Country!!!

Er...Mosh; It's not available, and probably won't be. I'm not actually 100% happy with it, and I know that Cameron Mabon's is better, and Andy Duncan's probably will be! Incidentally, whilst we're on about iconic Scottish pop, Cameron's also done some Franz Ferdinand stuff, which actually works surprisingly well!!

Kevin; The great Jimmy Shand's "Bluebell Polka" is something I've fancied doing for band for a while!! (How are you doing!!?)

Di; My version of "500 Miles" opens and closes with the famous opening chord sequence from the Rollers "Shang-a-Lang", something that the Proclaimers also do in their live set, albeit with another song!!

Tom; Some of the classic repertoire and artists you mention are covered in my "Jings", a medley of all the old Scots sing-along tunes. So successful has this been that I've followed it up with a sequel called "Crivvens", equally popular, and I intend one day to complete the trilogy with... you guessed it, "Help Ma Boab". None of these are published or available, but there are a few bands who rather mysteriously have them for some reason!!!

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- so ... there might be room for Lena Martell as well? ;) (... hides behind the sofa). There's a place for these artists though.

... mind you, I do like the idea of Auchtermuchty being mentioned in the compere's notes at Brass In Concert!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  17. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

....and Fran and Anna too!!! (Definitely best seen and heard behind the sofa!!)

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- aaarrrgh! ... to think Fife also has the Singing Kettle to admire (... poor Bruce, eh?) and also the high culture of our national heroes, The Krankies. We Scots are so lucky! :oops:

19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

*Sulks and goes to get out The Crossing for its 744th trip into the CD player*

20. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

It wasn't directed at you babes, just more a general statement about the joy that is scottish music. ;) Never done your 500 miles, so was unaware that it had hints of the rollers aboot it.

Next stop Manilosis (I know he's not scottish but hey!).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2007