1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

As you may have noticed, I haven^t had my crazy number of posts per day this week as I have been on holiday in Rome.

I went to the mass for the Pope yesterday and the atmosphere was quite surreal...and undescribable.

I^m not Catholic (and I can^t find the apostropher key on this Italian keyboard ;)), but I hope you all keep the Pope and the Catholic church in your prayers as over 1 billion people are in some way tied into this faith.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    I haven
    Rome
    Pope yesterday
    crazy number of posts
    Catholic church
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It has just been announced that Pope John Paul II has died.

As a nominal cathoilic I feel sad, but perhaps a new pope will do something more progressive to bring the church nto the 21st century.

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I saw some of the news reports earlier on... Very sad to hear about the passing away of the Pope, who was quite a remarkable man... but it was also sad to see his health go as down hill as it has been recently as well...

May he now rest in peace...

5. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Blessed release from suffering for the Pope... and how courageous to die so publicly.

Rest in peace.

Rach x

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yup... R.I.P Pope John Paul II. He did a lot of good for many people in the world.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One of my abiding memories is of an encounter on the tube some twenty or so years ago: my wife and I were in Salvation Army uniform on our way to the Royal Albert Hall for a meeting, and the people we were speaking to were heading off to see the Pope who was visitting the UK. The excitement they showed was most infectious, and we parted each wishing the other well.

Pope John Paul certainly seemed to inspire great loyalty and affection around the world, although his papacy did turn out to be more reactionary than had been expected, particularly with him being non-Italian, and with his courage in resisting the communist authorities in his native Poland. I've definitely been impressed over the years by his humility and dignity in all sorts of situations, including his meetings with Robert Runcie and the way he has faced up to his latest illness.

As the cardinals meet now to say their farewells and then to elect his successor, I'm sure believers everywhere will want to give thanks for the life of John Paul 2 (strange hearing it in Italian on the radio this morning!) and to pray that they will be guided well in their choice for the future.