The Poll against Trolls

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Mann, Nov 25, 2010.

Should you only be able to start discussion threads if you identify yourself?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
  2. No

46 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Mann

David Mann Member

It seems trolling threads and anonymous posters are multiplying at the moment. Is it time to restrict thread starting (at least in the discussion topic area) to those who are prepared to identify themselves? Is it technically possible? I'm not against user names, so long as the OP identifies themselves in their signature.
  2. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Although it doesn't take a genius to work out who honest people are without their signature saying so.... my history is pretty transparent.... people should be prepared to use their name or be identified with a band. After all nobody should be posting stuff they're not prepared for their bandmates to know about? My MD is on here and I don't post anything I wouldn't debate in my own bandroom. :D
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

How would that make any difference? There's no way (that I'm aware of) of proving that a poster is who he/she claims to be in their signature. You've only got my word for it that I'm Andy Baker. Maybe I'm not. Maybe I only think I am. Oooh hang on, this is getting a bit existential for my liking...

It should be possible to restrict thread-starting to members with a minimum of, say, 30 posts. Wouldn't prevent trolling on other peoples' threads though.
  4. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Same, Diane. I tend to stay away from the heated discussions anyway, incase music/instruments start flying :D So much safer when you observe :) Plus I rarely have anything controversial to say.
  5. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

There are some more delicate discussions or questions you may want to raise without upsetting your bandmates or "landing someone in it". Where it is meant in a genuine and constructive manner - i understand why people feel they need to protect their anonymity, and there are things that i have wanted to ask on here but have not done so because my identity has always been quite transparent.

That said - i agree with the sentiment of this thread which i feel is aimed at stopping some of the 'numpties' coming on and stirring up trouble and ruining otherwise decent discussions.
  6. David Mann

David Mann Member

Like weeds, you'll never eliminate 'em, but you can make life more difficult. Maybe if a new thread is created and there's no name in either signature or user name, or no transparency in the history (thanks DMbabe), it should be automatic locky locky.
  7. David Mann

David Mann Member

It would be difficult to stop people ruining discussions, and of course people are entitled to air their sincerely held opinions, even they are the opposite of mine. This is aimed squarely at the current crop of OPs who seem to want to start "knocking" threads with outrageous statements.
  8. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I agree!
  9. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Oh no they're not ......... ;)
  10. BoBo

BoBo Member

I think the mods stop it geting out of hand. Thankless task, well done to them! I don't think we need anymore restrictions.
  11. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

You're all individuals!

Yes, David I agree. I've been on the blunt end of a couple of trolls and it's not very nice.
  12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Simple, don't reply to a thread that you consider has been started by someone you think is a troll.
  13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I voted No :)
  14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I'm not

I'm not a huge fan of enforcing people to use their real names. I have been a member on one forum that insisted on not using usernames, it was real names or nothing - it was an interesting idea, but I don't think it added anything to the discussions.
    In fact, if I am being truly honest, I found myself at a disadvantage - a lot of people know me as Trumpetmike, very few know who I am in real life. Even if I know the people in real life (like a certain maker of high quality trumpets, with whom I have spent quite a bit of money) they prefer to call me Trumpetmike:biggrin:

It doesn't take a lot of effort to find out my real name, but the idea of being forced to give it out is something I don't feel happy about.

It is usually pretty easy to see if a thread is trolling, an anonymous username is not usually one of the best signs.
  15. delboy822

delboy822 Member

I have a reasonably anonymous username... but it's been my username of choice for about 15 years now lol... and it's easy to see where it comes from ;) plus the signature kinda gives it away...
  16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Who the hell are you? :biggrin:

Topic - Trolls - ignore 'em. They're cowardly, moronic sh**-stirrers.
  17. Blower

Blower Member

Trolls can only stir if someone bites... and when they do it's actually quite fun to read. Unless of course they overstep the mark as far as family friendly goes but then the excellent team of mods step in.

Let them have their say and enjoy bashing their often very poor posts with badly thought out arguments.
  18. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I agree, the mods do a fantastic job of descending on these threads quite quickly. I don't think we can deny somebody their right to anonymity.
  19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I think things are fine as they are. The last thing you'd want to do is stifle comment too much as that would result in the site gradually dying. Sometimes trolls can be thought provoking it's then over to you to decide if you're going to respond or not.
  20. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

"Andy Baker" if he is the man we on tmp think he is has got it spot on. Who knows going to prove who we really are?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.