The perfect combination

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Teflon1961, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

We all know about starters and main courses at the restaurant... when you're at home .." 'avin' your practice..." what's the perfect combination to you?... Long notes and Arban? .. articulation and a favourite solo?... I'll throw this in the pot for starters... Here goes!

Wright and Round's Cornet method..(yup, all them lovely, easy bits at the back!), followed by a really serious go at Weber's Last Waltz.. mmmm can't wait till tomorrow!!

Come on.. what's your order!?:)
  2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

the perfect combination.... mouthpiece and instrument? :p
  3. Steve

Steve Active Member

fag (cigarette!!!!!!!!!) and bed
  4. Di

Di Active Member

And that fits in just how with practice routine Steve? :rolleyes:
  5. Steve

Steve Active Member

its a new method called substitutional practice routines. Whatever instrument it is stays in the case and i have a smoke and go bed instead.
  6. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

After a long time conducting, I've just got back into playing again... I somehow feel I'm in a minority enjoying my home practice!
  7. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

home what?
  8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Oh - practice. That's what you nag your kids to do right and then ignore yourself? LOL

Seriously, Charles Colin lip Flex's, Herbert Clarke Technical studies (just the ones at the front of the book - haven't managed the ones at the back properly!), a quick blast through a few of the kopprasch studies then on to some repertoire. But then, it's been a long time since I had time to do my "perfect combination"

Nowadays, my perfect combination is 20 minutes before daughter goes to bed without the phone ringing or me having to help her with her homework!

9. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I'm with Steve on this one

Fag to get the lungs going
    Beer in the interval:guiness
    Another fag with a beer :guiness
    Curry to help you get those awkward runs
    Another fag
    Kiss the wife goodbye (I mean goodnight) lip exercise
    Another beer:guiness and a fag and go to bed

Works for me
  10. flugelman

flugelman Member

I'm with you fella! But with the rubbish I'm shovelling in at the moment its not surprising that I have had to dust off the old arban!

11. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Being of lesser skill... or at least lesser experienced... than most members here, I like to take advantage of home practice when I can. My sight-reading still sucks, so I have to hammer through the technical parts on my own... I usually just skip them during rehearsal and work 'em out at home. I'll warm up with some scales and tonguing drills, then run through the pieces we've got scheduled for upcoming concerts and/or appearances. The more opportunity I have to play the piece correctly, the better I feel about it when the time comes to 'do it for real.'

I try and squeeze in two home practice sessions a week... which is a lot easier thanks to the new Yamaha Silent Brass unit.
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well for the last 7 weeks it as been
    15 minute warm up on just long notes slured to get muscles warmed up then 40/45 mins an test pieces Purcell Variants and now Voyage Of Discovery
  13. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

Dunno if the quote thing worked, never done one before! Anyway, I had a Silent Brass system come yesterday, must say, it certainly adds a new dimension to personal practice, though it seems to pick a lot of noise up from the valves.
    Long notes are a 'must' for tone, range and diaphragm control.
  14. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Actually, I've noticed that the extra resistance is helping with pedal notes, and it seems like the top notes I struggle with while using the SB system are a bit easier to reach when I'm playing without it.

Either that, or I'm getting more range as a result of more practice. :confused:
  15. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I'm rubish at practicing. I practice every night for a week on all instruments then I get bored and forget to. But Im going to do lots of practicing at half term.
  16. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

i dont practice every day but i go on dance mat and do sit ups and i suppose that strengthens my diaphragm does this count?????????????????:p:p:p:p:p
  17. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If you stayed on your feet you might score more on the dance mat I haven't seen a dance that involves sit ups
  18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Even us (alleged) pros have difficulty getting motivated to get the thing out of it's case at home. I'm trying to find some motivation at the moment. I've been quite busy depping for a professional orchestra for the past few months. When they advertised the Principal job, I was rather hoping that they would offer me a courtesy trial, but the letter came through this morning asking me to attend an audition :( . I'm quite happy to do one, but feel a bit miffed.

Any tips - especially from the young and keen - would be greatly appreciated. I've tried Steve's approach, but I don't smoke :biggrin: .
  19. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

wot do you know about dance????