The Perfect Bandroom...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Jan 8, 2008.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

If you could build from the ground up, what would be the features of your Perfect Bandroom? Or have you tried to improve your existing bandroom (nailing egg boxes to the walls, maybe) and would recommend others to do the same, or emphatically warn them not to? Or tell us about your best rehearsal venue ever. Why was it so good?

2. yank67

yank67 Member

A good band room should have beer on tap!:clap:

3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Like ours :D

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

But more seriously, any advice on improving acoustics ?

5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

A good bandroom is one that has adequate room for the percussion to set up and be able to move around easily without falling over our stuff!

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Please don't bother ;)

7. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

The perfect bandroom

Extend the existing bar:clap: to allow us poor cornet players to be served when troms are at the front

8. Perfect Bandroom

Brian, Outside of the obvious, which on my own, (non exhaustive, ideal world) wish list would include, locable storage space for library and equiptment, enough room to set up comfortably, including all the percussion you may encounter in the right place, a secure site, comfortable seats, not sharing with any other organisations, photocopier, (only for use with programmes and Committee minutes you understand), being a good distance from any neighbours, car parking and of course a Bar!

In my experience accoustic entirely depends the decision maker(s) M.D. Committee etc. preference . I've had the experience of rehearsing in a very dry accoustic, which is excellent for picking out detail, but not very flattering when trying to produce a big sound. That didn't suit a particular MD, so at his behest we moved to a Church Hall. This is of course the exact opposite, with more reverb than Westminster Cathedral, but very flattering, (our current MD naturally prefers the former!).

It eventually boils down to personal choice, but if you are looking to make a big decision like moving, spending money on enhancements, or building from scratch, remember M.D's (like players), are transient.

Whatever route you do adopt, I would forget the egg boxes.

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

When we built our own bandroom in the '90s (with help from the local council), we used a pyramid-shaped roof. this gave too much reflections, so we added special absorbing panels to the roof. They were quite expensive if I remember correctly, but now the room sounds pretty good (not too dry and not too reverberating). of course, like said before, this depends a lot on the preference and habits of MD and players. I know that Brass Band Willebroek rehearse in an extremely "dry" band room. irt doesn't seem to prevent them from producing a "big sound" ;)

We recently extended our bandroom with a larger storage area for the percussion equipment and with a big cupboard for storing the library, spare instruments, spare shirts and uniforms, etc. In the past these were stored at the homes of some of our committee members.

And of course we have our own bar ;) Actually the revenue of this bar is used to pay for the heating, electricity and fire insurance.

10. KMJ Recordings

It's perfectly possible with the correct budget and design to make the room variable...but it isn't exactly cheap ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bandroom
    Perfect Bandroom
    existing bandroom
    rehearsal venue
    nailing egg boxes
  12. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

Sound proof walls and air conditioning so that you don't have to open the windows in the summer and consequently get stuck with a noise complaint from the local residents!! Hasn't happend to us..... yet, but might do if our new band room (hopefully being council built 2009ish) isn't done right!!

13. KMJ Recordings

Yep - remembering that that soundproofing and acoustics aren't the same thing, the secret to soundproofing is mass, and to check out the noise levels of the HVAC and work out its pathway before you put it in ;)

14. NeilW

NeilW Member

I can see an argument for the room not being square - or indeed having parallel walls - to reduce sound reflections. A local school had new practice rooms put into a music block and none of them had parallel walls - and it worked really well: for small rooms the sound was good.

I also wonder what effect having movable shutters in front of soundproofing might be, again to control reflection of sound. As the shutters would be moveable, the amount of reflection could be controlled

15. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Us troms do tend to hog the bar don't we. However, I make no apologies for it! I'm glad you said cornet players are poor and not me ;-)

I'd like a band room with built-in recording equipment so you could record your own cd's (hypothetically speaking) instead of hiring someone/somewhere to do it.

16. KMJ Recordings

Gosh, I'd better not rise to that one.

It's easy you know, anyone can do it :hammer

17. Robhibberd29

Oh I wouldn't worry too much Keith, I was speaking hypothetically as I pointed out and I can't see it happening anyway :)

18. KMJ Recordings

There are actually bandrooms out there that have this kind of facility....but in order to get a decent room built and then to kit it out properly you're looking at huge amounts of cash....for instance the Derwent and Felling recordings at the back of last year had a mic box valued in excess of £35,000.....

It's a similar discussion that I've had with Brassneck before - you can get some perfectly good recordings as learning aids from inbuilt things (in a similar fashion to minidisc recordings), but unless it's purpose designed you're better off going for the location recording thing (or just bring someone in if your room is good enough).

19. Robhibberd29

Absolutely agree Keith, as I said I wasn't being realistic, the thread did say if you could have a perfect band room, built from the ground up!

I'm sure you're safe Keith :)

20. Duck of demolition

Duck of demolition New Member

I think it should have rooms separate to the bandroom for sectionals

21. BrianT

BrianT Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I had a further thought - what could you do if you have one big room that the band has to both rehearse in (requiring a dry acoustic) and perform in (needing more reverb)?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bandroom
    Perfect Bandroom
    existing bandroom
    rehearsal venue
    nailing egg boxes