The Passing of Tommy Johnson - Tuba Legend

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by AndyCat, Oct 16, 2006.

1. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

From TUBENET:

"It is with great sorrow that I inform you all that Tommy Johnson passed away last night from complications related to kidney cancer, a battle that he has been waging for the last couple of months..... He will be sorely missed."

Tommy Johnson truly was a legend of Tuba playing. You may not know his name, but you'll all have heard him. He was one of the most recorded Tuba players ever, with over 2000 film scores to his name. He was baesd in LA and was first call with most of the studio orchestras there, as well as standard orchestras

Some of these movies include:
    Robin Hood, Back to the Future 1, 2, & 3, Jaws 1, 2, 3, & 4, Close Encounter of The Third Kind, Karate Kid I, II, & III, Police Academy I, II, III, IV, & V, Silverado, Indiana Jones, Star Trek I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VIII, & IX, The Natural, The Godfather 1, 2, & 3, A League of Their Own, Alien III, Batman Returns, Beetle Juice, Death Becomes Her, Unforgiven, The Babe, The Addams Family, Toy Story, Honeymoon in Vegas, Honey, Grumpier Old Men, Father of the Bride 2, Die Hard 1 & 2, Crimson Tide, Beethoven 1 & 2, Lethal Weapon I, II, III & IV, A Few Good Men, Bodyguard, Dracula, Waiting to Exhale, Under Siege I & II, The Last of the Mohicans, Flintstones Movie, Forrest Gump, Lion King, Maverick, Richie Rich, Santa Claus, The Quick & the Dead, Batman Forever, True Lies, Wyatt Earp, Toy Story 2, Seven, Chain Reaction, Executive Decision, Extreme Measures, First Wives Club, Independence Day, The Frighteners, Nutty Professor, Tin Cup, Twister, Air Force One, The Edge, Con Air, Contact, Deep Rising, Flubber, Men in Black, Mouse Hunt, Mr. Magoo, Scream II, Starship Troopers, Titanic, The Rainmaker, US Marshals, The Matrix, A Bug's Life, Armageddon, Enemy of the State, Godzilla, Instinct, Mulan, Mystery Alaska, Odd Couple II, Parent Trap, Pleasantville, Small Soldiers, Tarzan, The Thin Red Line, Water Boy, Austin Powers II, General's Daughter, The Haunting, Thomas Crown Affair, Wild Wild West, Snow Day, Reindeer Games, The Tigger Movie, Scream 3, U-571, and Frequency; plus many more recent movies.

You've definately heard him, if not of him.

RIP Tommy Johnson.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tommy Johnson
    Tuba Legend
    Lethal Weapon I
    TUBENET
    Scream II
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Fantastic musical tuba player with one of the best sounds I've heard. First discovered his playing on the Manhattan Transfer album of "Tubby The Tuba", where he excelled in every aspect of performance. A sad loss indeed!

- Here's an interview with Tommy Johnson from 2004 that gives an insight into the person and musician.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Tommy Johnson was my band teacher in Junior high in the early 1970's. It was him that fostered my love of performing live music, which led directly to a long career repairing and restoring guitars.
    Rest in peace, Mr. Johnson.

5. Sandra Clark

Sandra Clark Guest

He was my music teacher

at Sepulveda Jr. High School back in the 70's. Even though we knew he was very much in demand as a studio musician and out quite a bit, he took the time to instill in many of us his love of music. I'm saddened by his passing and remembering how proud he was at one point to have an all-female tuba section. (I was one of them).