'The Padstow Lifeboat' on Whit Friday?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by _si, Mar 18, 2010.

1. _si

_si Member

I absolutely LOVE this piece! (by Sir Malcolm Arnold)

Is it classed as a march? and if so has anyone ever played it on whit friday?

If not i think it would sound awesome and be very popular if any bands are thinking of what to play!

(would be funny too :D)
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

We had this with us with either BOC Brass in 04 or Chav Brass in 07, (cant remember which), to use on the street march but we never got around to playing it (we had multiple options to use).
    The same year, under the influence, we very nearly played Knight Templar on the street march and Thomas the Tank Engine on the stand at one venue...
  3. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

God forbid. Grow up, try and behave in the true tradition of Whit Friday contests. It is bad enough having bands in fancy dress, but as for not playing a standard march might constitute breaking the rules and deserves to be disqualified and not to be allowed to march down to the contest arena.

If you want to fool around at Whit Friday, go and do it in ‘your own back yard’ and play at your local carnival parade.
    The following is taken from the Delph Whit Friday Rules

Rule 7. Test piece to be played once through with DC to Fine or pause.
    Rule 8. Bands may play any published march they wish.
  4. _si

_si Member

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

I forgot that the Whits was a solemn affair.
  6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

should we follow it with an overture?
    Thanks for your input Dave, we will try ever so hard to adhere to rules this year.
  7. carbon selector

carbon selector New Member

Certainly in the morning it is, but the evening band contest seems to be allowed a fair bit of latitude.

But you could find yourself hung drawn and quartered on Dobcross green or similar for calling it 'the Whits'.

8. falcons1988

falcons1988 New Member

The Padstow Lifeboat is a 'Concert March'.
  9. still learnin

still learnin Member

Is must be an important event what with rules and everything

In Brighton they have a Gay Pride Parade, I'm not sure that they have as many as 8 rules but fancy dress seems to be allowed. It does attract visitors/spectators from all over the country though and makes the national news.

Is the Whit Friday Contest well known? ;)
  10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Pompous? Moi? :rolleyes:
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

All this makes me wonder if a modern march that involves players singing through kazoos in the trio section would be allowed at the Whits? It's published (i.e., March 2001b (The Oblique One) by Magnus Am featured by Stavanger on the Colour-Gobbler CD).
  12. andyp

andyp Active Member

I think it'd be great to hear it - but I wouldn't want to play it through 12 times............especially at the tempo Grimethorpe do it on the Malcolm Arnold CD (with him conducting)!
  13. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Hate the Piece give me the cossack any day
  14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I hate Cossack give me Padstow anyday lol. I have fond memories of honking like a foghorn in front of uni band and David King...fun times lol:biggrin:
  15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

We weren't playing the padstow lifeboat though were we? ;)
  16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

FYI, the Padstow Lifeboat was the "set contest march" for the Hannaford Cup Contest in Toronto last year.
  17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Cheeky b**tard! While we're on the subject you chavving it up from hurdy gurdy land this year?
  18. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yep, we're out this year :)
    Think there's only one other hurdy gurdy in the ranks though..
  19. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Rule 7. Thomas the Tank Engine has a DC.
    Rule 8. It doesnt have to be published.

Playing Thomas was joked about at the time but we actually put in some damn good performances of our contest march on stage with some very impressive results.

In fact looking back at the results, the reaction from the crowds and the general band behaviour I honestly believe that any contest organiser would be proud to have Chav Brass coming through the village, Aidans scratch bands are usually made up of a certain standard of players which is why they beat many MANY rehearsed bands and get a great reception everywhere.
  20. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

Non, juste un supporter d'orchestres de cuivres et les traditions de Saddleworth