The "Open" - test pieces?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, Aug 30, 2004.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm curious: with there being a choice of three test pieces for bands to choose from at the forthcoming "Open" in Birmingham, are the competing bands choices going to be made public in advance, or are the organisers hoping for it to remain a big secret until the day?

Or have I missed something?

Apologies if I shouldn't be asking the question ... !

G.

2. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I know that Dyke and Dalewool (NZ) are playing EDIT!. Thats about all I have found out.

Edit: please refrain from posting the names of the chosen tests - whether rumours or not. Refer to rules 2(g) of the tMP Rules. (dyl)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2004
  3. Vibber

Vibber New Member

to be honest im not sure if bands would like their choice of pieces being displayed on this forum and whos knows if any of the adjudicators for the open will be monitoring this thread. i know a lot of the bands are trying to keep their choice of piece a secret for this reason alone

4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

If bands were to announce / make it known which piece they were playing, then there will be little point in having closed adjudication, and little point in having a draw to detirmine the order of play, either, at least on the day.

Of course, people might think that these would be good things anyway, but that is a whole different thread and can of worms.

The rules of the Contest being as they are, they should be respected until and unless they are changed, whether you agree with them or not.

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If the contest is closed adjudication, then the selections have to be kept secret. The adjudicators would have to be informed as to what the next piece was, but not which band.

That said, it seems to me that keeping this a complete secret in the situation described might be a little difficult. So if the secret gets out for one band, wouldn't it be more fair if all of the selections were made known in advance? That way, no one could claim foul based on their secret getting out ahead. The adjudication could still be "closed" unless one of the three tests was chosen by only one group, assuming that the judges don't know the draw. Of course, the choice to announce or not announce selections is up to the organizers of the contest, and we should respect the rules.

I'm also curious about how the contest will be conducted. Will there be a draw for each test piece, with all of the bands doing the same piece playing in sequence, and then going on to those doing the next piece? Or will there be one draw for everybody, with the pieces coming in a random fashion? It seems to me that randomness might make for some confusion in the judging booths.

6. JonP

JonP Member

daft, playground stuff!!

the brassband world is far too small to keep the pieces a secret. we all knew what ybs and cory were going to play at the european, despite all their efforts to keep it a secret.

there is no way that if the adjudicators are so inclined they wont find out who is playing what.

Why act like children and try to keep the futile secrets.

all very tedious really!!!

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I would presume the draw will simply take in the order of the bands, regardless of what they are playing, and the adjudicators will then know which scores to have ready for which bands.

In the recent Europeans there was some duplication in Own Choice selections, and occasionally you had adjacent performances of the same work, but mostly they were apart.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  8. tim

tim Member

Just a thought having seen that desford are doind an open rehersal on their chosen piece shouldn't this have been banned as the ajudicators could quite easily turn up for a listen or friends of the ajudicators etc. Im not suggesting theres any cheating going on but it could quite easily be with this open rehersal.

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

From a bit of insider chatting, informed guessing etc about bands and pieces, I just think anyone who's going is going to be in for a treat because I imagine they'll hear all 3 pieces played excellently!!

10. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

At own National contest, the draw and the own choice pieces are know about a month before and we still have closed adudication. This happens in the solos as well.
    If the adjudicators really want to find out that sort of stuff, they will no matter how hard you try to keep it all secret.

It should be interesting how the different choices of piece affect the results.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    pieces
    Open
    choice
    bands choices
    bands
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Just out of interest, is there a good reason for having closed adjudication in that case? Does anyone really believe that some visual stimulant will alter the judges perception of the performance???

13. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

It is totally irrelevent whether a judge knows which band it is or what they are playing. They are there to judge music alone and on that basis I believe that for our major contests (Area, Open, Nationals, European, Master etc) must remain closed.

Leaving them out in the open, opens them up to all kinds of distractions and unneccessary attention from others: audience noise and activity and what they see from the band themselves. 'Opening it up' would allow too many questions to be raised about the judges. I don't think I would like the eyes of British Open audience on me during or after a performance while I was trying to listen or formulate my thoughts.

Entertainment and deportment contests are a different matter because the whole idea if that is how the band communicates itself to the audience and judge, so that would need to be 'open'.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  14. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

We have had situations here that the adjudicator has had a program of the draw and the pieces in the box and another that if the adjudicator lent back and a little to the side, he could see the band coming onto stage. (Not his fault mind you. Bad organising)

15. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Good Idea

Well should be great to see the DVD with three different tests on , that should sell a few copies , what a great idea world of brass...

16. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Apart from Butlins, where the entertainment part of the contest was also closed adjudicaton!!!!

17. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

No?!?! How dumb is that?!