The Official NZ Championships thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Kerwintootle, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Good luck to all the Aussie bands taking part in the Oz championships this weekend. If you didn't know it is also the New Zealand Championships this weekend, where bands like Dalewool, Woolston, Gothenburg, Yorkshire Co-op, Waitakere et al. will be fighting it out for the NZ crown. Alan Morrison is chief adjudicator.

Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Official NZ Championships
    Aussie
    Oz
    NZ
    New Zealand Championships
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

If it makes you feel any better...there wasn't an official thread for the Noth American Championships acouple of weekends back :cry: :p

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Last November, I made one for the Belgian Championships myself. (so maybe that wasn't an official one...)

5. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

There is now! ;)
    best of luck to all

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks Alex - we were waiting for some more information on the NZ Championships before starting the thread. Am still waiting too :( Is there an official website where I can get hold of times/bands etc.

Thread 'stuck' ;)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks Brassneck - as the website looks pretty comprehensive there's not much point in reproducing the information here. All the best to all competing bands this weekend.

9. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Thanks for that.

It promises to be a great weekend. There is a phenomenal amount of music to prepare with the own choice, the set test which this year is St Magnus and a street march and for a select few, a band of the year (Spennymoor type) contest. Plus there are ensemble and solo events that start today.

We at Waitakere had a concert with the Yorkshire Co-op Band on Monday and with David Morris (whistler) as guest soloist. David, me, Simon, Lyndsay Smith from the co' and Ken Cant all appeared on primetime TV on Monday night as well.

Good luck to all the bands at the contest this weekend and I will try and keep you updated with news and results.

Cheers

10. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

I'd like to make a wee prediction that Gothenburg might surprise a lot of people here. I've now heard them in concert (with our band), listened to them rehearse a couple of times and spent about 20 minutes conducting them in rehearsal this morning. It wouldn't shock me if they won the contest this weekend. They certainly get my vote for the brass band with the best intonation I've ever heard in NZ. Good luck to everyone over the next few days.

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I take it they won't be playing one of Mr. Sparke's works as an own choice then? ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Official NZ Championships
    Aussie
    Oz
    NZ
    New Zealand Championships
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

14. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

nice sense of humour, brassneck!

Thanks Peter - that result was all the motivation I needed to drop out of the trombone solo the next day. Conducting is making me stressed enough.

Our Youth Band (Pelorus Trust Wellington Brass Youth Band) just won the innaugural NZ Youth Band section over the highly fancied Woolston Youth Band. Here's hoping the senior band follows suit.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... congratulations on your runners-up prize, by the way! That in a small, but talented line-up of players! Did you use the option of a 'free' accompaniment? The string quartet use sounded cute!

16. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Dear Alex,

So nice to see that you have kiwi fruit as your avatar. We've had too many sour grapes in these pages recently! Good luck this weekend!

17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

LOL!

Very clever Mr. Sparke.

:clap:

18. HBB

HBB Active Member

[​IMG] LOL!

19. dyl

dyl Active Member

Read it again Ben - "We've had too many sour grapes in these pages recently!" - not "Can we have more sour grapes please?"

Topic please!

20. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

And that gets the third nomination for post of the year!!!

Will

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:confused: ... so the Swedish band could be playing a Philip Sparke piece for an own choice? (could be any one of many as the conductor thinks they all sound the same anyway ... :p )

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member