The Northern Open Brass Band Championships 2012

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Keith Stanley James Lever, Oct 30, 2012.

1. jamieow

jamieow Member

Congrats to my Ifton buddies on an apparently well deserved 1st place in the 4th Section.......and Rick for his soloist prize!

2. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

ta Jamie, and Rich played a storm (again)

3. Posh

Posh Member

I listened to all of the Fourth Section yesterday. The adjudicators got it spot on. Ifton really deserved to win.

Congratulations also to Cadishead - first contest for 26 years and 2nd place. Well done to both bands.

4. Ianroberts

Ive been away from contesting now for too many years, can anyone explain why there are no points awarded ?

The adjudication has none, neither were any mentioned at the results.

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Aparently points were too contentious - as decided by someone in the PC brigade - last year or so ago. Personally, I think a point score helps bands work out how close they were to the place above (as one benefit) but apparently it upset too many people. I'm deliberately being contentious here, because the real reason is that the adjudicators felt it was a stick bands could beat them with ;-)

6. Ianroberts

just this competition or all ?

7. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

Boarshurst Principal cornet had a good day, nicely played :)

8. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Ah, you are wearing you bandsman hat on this one Mike, and not your adjudicator hat ? I also prefer the points system for the same reasons.
    Also, well played Eagley. I heard your performance and enjoyed it very much.
    Ciao, CORLEONE.

9. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Ifton certainly have changed for the better. I heard them at Brass at the Guild last year- now they have a conductor they are a different band. Well done indeed.
    Ciao, CORLEONE.

10. boourns

boourns Member

I think using points lends unnecessary credence to the idea that we all start off with, say, 200, and the adjudicator knocks points off when we 'do stuff wrong'.

11. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Good to see you back on line my friend. you have been absent for many months. Are you still a member of the Darwen band ? I did not see you in their bass section on Sunday.
    Ciao, CORLEONE.

12. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

I wasn't.
    Just posted the results.
    I would have thought a man with all your inside information would have known that without asking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice