'The Nightingale' and Harold Moss etc.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bob Stevenson, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Bob Stevenson

Bob Stevenson Member

Just trying to complete some programme notes,.....

Does anyone know anything about Harold Moss and 'The Nightingale' cornet solo?

I do know that Harold Moss was the teacher of Lucy Cole the famed lady cornet star of the war years,...Did he write 'The Nightingale' for her?....codes on the music seem to indicate that it may have been originally printed in 1942.

Any sources of info would be gratefully recieved!....Thanks in advance!

2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Re Harold Moss - the BFBB have details of archive information about him
    www.bfbb.co.uk/images.htm

Reference to him conducting Wingates Temperance Band in 1931
    www.choicerecordings.com/wingates_temperance.htm

Richard Evans received lessons from him and he was known as "The King of Trombones"
    www.4barsrest.com/articles/2001/art018.asp

He was the first conductor of Leyland Motors in 1946.
    www.leylandband.co.uk/history.htm

Conducted Creswell Colliery Band to win the British Open Contest in 1947,
    www.worksopminerswelfareband.org.uk/ history/bands-in-the-mining-industry
    (conflict note - IBEW have the 1947 Open winner as Fairey Aviation and Cresswell in 4th. Cresswell are down as winning in 1925 though)

Hope that helps.

3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Won the Brass solo open with the piece - it's exxcellent but know nothing about it - sorry!

4. AnneMossMcAllister

AnneMossMcAllister New Member

Just found this question. Though the post was years ago, thought you might like to know: Harold Moss was my grandfather and he wrote 'The Nightingale' for my aunt, his eldest child, Mary whom he always called Jenny.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's nice to know that ... a classic solo!

6. johnm

johnm New Member

When I was researching for my compere's book I spoke to Harold Moss' daughter who he wrote the solo for, he wanted to call it Jenny but his publishers thought it would conflict with another solo around at that time - Jenny Wren. He completed the solo during the night of his daughters birth, hence The Nightingale. Hope this helps and saves you having to buy my book!!
    Incidentaly, Moss' nephew is Harry Mather the great euphonium star of yesteryear and Harry gave me a pipe that once belonged to Harold Moss!

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Thats a name of the past my grandfather used to talk of him and said he was one of the tip -top players of the Euph in my grandfathers playing days.

8. johnm

johnm New Member

Harry is still living in Wigan and still has the most fantastic wit you could hear. I have great memories of sitting behind Harry on the RAH in 1966 and hearing him play like an angel in Carnaval Romain with Jim Scott conducting.

9. Al

Al Member

I have an old 78rpm record with Wingates playing (I think) The Joker by Harold Moss. I will have to hunt it out and get it onto youtube.

10. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

I was always led to believe that the solo was written for Jenny in the sense of a dedication but that he played it himself - on the trombone!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Harold Moss
    The Nightingale
    Lucy Cole
  12. johnm

johnm New Member

Yes, exactly right!

13. Richard_Brigg

Richard_Brigg Member

was there any point commenting?

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

One might ask you the same question... Or me...

15. Stickyvalves

Stickyvalves New Member

yes that is what i thought!