The new Wilfred Heaton CD

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Apr 21, 2005.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I see that there's a new Wilfred Heaton CD about to be released, but if the track list that I've seen is right, the CD doesn't include Variations, the piece elaborated by Howard Snell and which was the highlight of last years RNCM festival. Ever since that performance, I've been eagerly awaiting the chance to hear this piece again - and I bet I'm not the only one. Please, someone who knows, tell us this is a typo and the piece IS on the CD after all??!! Pretty please???!!!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Who's recording the new CD? Eikanger (Howard Snell) released a disc called Heaton with Variations Celestial Prospect for Doyen.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The new one is by Dyke and the ISB, and is reviewed by Rodney Newton in this week's BB.
  4. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

The new CD is Black Dyke and the ISB together again. James, can you post the track list????
  5. James Yelland

I don't have the World of Brass catalogue in front of me right now (which is where I saw the details) but from memory it includes the Trombone Concerto, Annie Laurie Variations, Beulah Land and Five Little Pieces, plus on or two others that I can't remember, although by the time I post this I expect someone will have answered the question fully. No Variations, apparently, though. (In response to someone else above, this is a different piece from Celestial Prospect).
  6. Active Member

The CD will be available at the European Championships next weekend.
    They are being delivered to my hotel direct from the Sony plant in Austria, fingers crossed!
    It will be available for pre-order from the WoB site sometime over the weekend.
    Here is the official track list;

Five Little Pieces Black Dyke Band
    Trombone Concerto Brett Baker with Black Dyke Band
    French ISB
    Variations on Annie Laurie Kevin Ashman with ISB
    Beulah Land ISB

As far as Variations is concerned James, maybe it will appear in Volume 4 which appears on our recordings schedule for late 2005 / early 2006.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  7. James Yelland

Good news that there is to be a fourth volume, although as there are, as far as I know, only three other pieces for brass that Heaton wrote or sketched which aren't yet available on a commercial recording - the variations, the sinfonia concertante and the sextet - that might make for a rather short CD, by modern standards! I'll still buy it though, coz I've got more money than sense - not that that's saying very much.
  8. Active Member

It's on the site NOW!
    Click HERE to go straight to it.
  9. Active Member

It's on The Heaton Collection Volume 4 which is now available, James.