The National Methodist Youth Brass Band

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by Baritonedeaf, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

The National Methodist Youth Brass Band are currently accepting applications from Methodist Brass players.

The band requires new members to be of at least Grade 5 standard, a regular player in a Brass Band or other ensemble and a Methodist aged between 13-18. If you fit the bill or you know anyone who does - please pass on this information.

The band is a self-supporting charitable group, who meet for 5 or 6 weekends every year. We usually have a 2 week tour in the Summer (Past destinations include Jamaica, USA, Canada, Germany, Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Ireland etc. etc.) and various other events during the year (The band were one of the headlining acts at Easter People this year). The band is entirely run by Band Members and has been featured countless times on National Television and Radio and has taken part in a number of high profile events. We play a variety of repetoire from spiritual to secular, from jazz to classical and everywhere in between, jsut like any other band. Current players range from players in Championship bands (Including a National Champion!) to players from youth bands - it is an excellent opportunity to make new friends and have many new experiences!

This year is our 20th Anniversary year and we are very pleased to have added a number of excellent younger players to our ranks so far. We would like to increase this number.

For a PDF application form please click HERE and return it to us when ever you can.

Any queries or questions please don't hesitate to get in touch. Many thanks.

2. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Apologies the application form is HERE...
  3. Caz Clay

Caz Clay New Member

I have to agree!! lots of excellent younger players! :)

For any of you out there interested I do have to say just how much I enjoy going!! I've only been there for two years (which in NMYBB terms means I'm still a band toddler) but everyone is so friendly, fun and welcoming!! But most of all fun!! A set of people you really can never get bored of I promise!!

Plus any noisy ladies out there would be welcomed open armed to our noisy lady ranks!! Just think, you get to share a church floor with me!!!
  4. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

Being a past member, I have to say what an excellent band this is. It's such a friendly group. In regards to experience I can only say what an excellent 14 years or so I had with you guys.

Hope to catch up with you all in August for the reunion, if I can find my form after moving, lol.
  5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

It is a lovely band to play for and sharing a church floor is quite unique. Get your forms in!!
  6. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

As a past member of the NMYBB (several years ago now!), I can thoroughly recommend the experience and it's one not to be missed!

If you're interested and fit the bill, go for it! :)
  7. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

Blimey that phrase brings back many memories!!!! How is Normski these days?
  8. Rebecca Devaney

Rebecca Devaney New Member

I love playing with NMYBB and have enjoyed my 11 years with the band. I don't think anyone has ever regretted joining so get those applications in. You might even meet your future husband/wife as others in the band have!
  9. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Having just celebrated our 20th Anniversary, the band is still keen to recruit more young Christian Brass players.

We have a had a number of young players join at recent events - but would love to hear from others too...
  10. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

The program for concerts for the next few months is as follows:

October 16th-18th 2009, Sheffield.
    November 13th-15th 2009, Castleford.
    February 5th-7th 2010, Harrogate.

The band is always looking for new members, please contact the band as above or me if interested.
  11. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

12. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

The band has had a good influx of new members and applications in recent months which is great to see.

We have concerts for next year decided:

Harrogate - 5th - 7th Feb 2010
    Amersham - 14th - 16th May 2010
    Summer Tour 2010 - The North, Midlands and London - 20th - 29th August 2010
    Swinton, S Yorks - 8th - 10th October 2010
    St Albans - 19th - 21st November (TBC)

Come and join us! Information can be obtained as above. Thanks.
  13. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Autumn 2011 Update!

Fresh from a very successful summer tour around Cornwall, the band would like to remind any young Methodist brass players of our existence!

We have an upcoming concert weekend in Penrith, Cumbria 7th - 9th October 2011
    and then a weekend in Rugby - 18th -20th November 2011

We will be then embarking on an exciting 25th anniversary year in 2012 - including an Easter tour to Naples and Rome in Italy, a summer recording session and weekends around the country over the course of the year. For more info: The Band website is here.

For an application form - please click here: The PDF application form can be downloaded here.

14. NMYBB

NMYBB New Member

Another very successful weekend in Newton Aycliffe in the North East, we are now looking forward to our tour to Italy (Naples, the Amalfi coast and Rome)! Weekends in Surbiton, Surrey; Annfield Plain, County Durham; Heanor, Derbyshire and Bishop Stortford will complete the year, along with our recording over the summer. Please visit our website and if you are interested in finding out more then you can like our facebook page, or get in touch via our website.
  15. NMYBB

NMYBB New Member

NMYBB 25th Anniversary Tour, Concert and Service

The NMYBB has recently returned from a fantastic Easter tour to Rome and Naples in Southern Italy, where we worked in schools providing concerts and workshops for the young people of the Campania region, as well as performing a wide range of successful concerts to varied audiences. One of the many highlights of tour was working with a Youth project in the Neopolitain suburb of Villarrica, again providing music and encouragement to the young people of the area.

The band recently celebrated the 25[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary of its formation at a special concert in Surbiton, Surrey. The Band was formed in 1987 for young Methodist brass players from across the United Kingdom and has played across the country and around the world during its first 25 years. The NMYBB is made up of youngsters from the age of 13 and upwards who all play in their own home band and meet to make music together 5 or 6 times a year. They performed an entertaining celebration concert of pieces including such favourites as Paul Lovatt-Cooper’s “Vitae Aeternum”, Leigh Baker’s exciting arrangement of “All Night Long” and the UK Premiere of the bands specially commissioned work “Fun, Faith and Fellowship” by young Norwegian composer, Thomas Swatland. The piece was well received by both the listening audience and the players of the band who enjoyed the challenge of working up a piece specially written for them. The concert was even more special for the band as it featured the founder and President, Norman Every, emotionally conducting the once more for two pieces during the concert witnessed by some of the founder members, leaders and friends from across the 25 years of the NMYBB.

The next step in the celebrations will be a concert weekend in Annfield Plain, County Durham in June, followed by a special service of thanksgiving to celebrate the 25 years of the band in Nuthall, Nottingham on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] of July. The band is also looking forward to a recording session in August to record a range of its current concert repertoire.

The full details of our upcoming events are:
    • Annfield Plain, County Durham – Fri 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] June to Sunday 24[SUP]th[/SUP] June
    • 25[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary Celebration, Nuthall, Nottingham – Saturday 7[SUP]th[/SUP] July to Sunday 8[SUP]th[/SUP] July
    • CD Recording, Sandhurst, Berkshire – Thursday 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] August (Evening) – Monday 27[SUP]th[/SUP] August (Morning)
    • Heanor, Derbyshire – Friday 12[SUP]th[/SUP] October to Sunday 14[SUP]th[/SUP] October
    • Bishop Stortford – Friday 16[SUP]th[/SUP] November to Sunday 18[SUP]th[/SUP] November
    • Norton, North Yorkshire – Friday 8[SUP]th[/SUP] February to Sunday 10[SUP]th[/SUP] February

The band is always looking for new members to add to its ranks and anyone between the ages of 13-18 (or higher if interested!), of at least grade 5 standard and with a connection to the Methodist church would be welcomed with open arms!

For further details about the band, to join or to find out about future performances, please visit the band website at where you will find all the information you need. Or you can contact the band on Many thanks!
  16. NMYBB

NMYBB New Member

17. NMYBB

NMYBB New Member

18. NMYBB

NMYBB New Member

Two weeks until our next weekend in Norton, if you are interested in the band - we would love you to get in touch with us!