The National Anthem

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bbmad, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Can anyone tell me what the correct tempo for "God Save the Queen" is?
  2. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

I spoke to a military DOM he said 72bpm.
  3. midlandman

midlandman Member

Good question
    I always notice how much faster the military bands take it than others.
    According to the monarchy site there is no official version so I suppose any tempo is ok
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When the Anthem is played as a salute, it is generally quicker than when intended for singing.
  5. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

One of my pet hates is MD's who drag the rear end out of it. As an ex army musician, I side with their approach to it. Huge ralls at the end - also wrong imho.:mad:
  6. Pauli Walnuts

You also only play half of it unless her maj is present when played as a salute.
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I've been reliably informed (by a former principal cornet of a Guards regimental band) that the "done thing" is to play the final eight bars slightly slower than the first six bars; can't say what the actual correct tempo is, (although 72bpm sounds about right to me). Aforementioned former PC was also absolutely insistent that it should always be played in G major concert pitch, and that to play it in any other key is tantamount to treason. So much for No. 61, then ...
  8. Pauli Walnuts

As former principal cornet of a Parachute Regiment Band, I have never come across that concept of playing the second half slower. I can't recall what key we used though.
    For me, these awful slow tempo's used by bands playing No.1 at contest are the real treason here!
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Possibly just a Guards thing; they like to think they're special ...
  10. Pauli Walnuts

Indeed - I would have had 2 stripes instead of the one had I been in the guards.

On a more serious note, we did have a number of guards players on tMp - perhaps one of them might respond.
  11. yeomills

yeomills New Member

I believe her Majesty has been known to send a message to Md's when one's tune has been played to slow. All guards md's know the required tempo in her presence. As a salute or accompanying a toast it a full anthem for the queen and half for other royals.
  12. pbirch

pbirch Member

one of my pet hates is hearing "God save our Queen" when it should be "God save the Queen" - usually by some cross-over "artist" at sporting events
  13. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Thanks for you help so far everyone