The Music of the Spheres

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BFN, May 2, 2004.

1. BFN

BFN Member

Apparantly I'm the first to voice my gratitude to YBS on this subject - it was stunning! Just wondering though, if there are plans to release it as a CD, like Apocalypse last year?

Please.........................................

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

no clue. but yes its a great piece.
    I'd imagine it will appear on a cd before long..
    maybe kings of europe volume II ;);)

3. tim

tim Member

Won't the live performance end up on the europeans cd as a winning performance along with there performance of st magnus?

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yes.. but as with apocalypse.. i reckon it would sound completely different if we had a session to record it!!!! :roll: :wink:

5. BFN

BFN Member

Bugger - thought I'd have to wait untill July! Or indeed Friday at 9:30, as Mr. Renton was plugging...

Another question though: is it written for 4 trombones and 4 percussionists? I'm asking becuase I was more than a little surprised on the Friday night to see Chris Jeans defering a lot of his solos to who would seem to be his "bumper up" - like he needs one! I was actually quite disapointed, but reasoned that the extra player was for the Saturday contest when I realised you were playing a new comission.

Or am I just stabbing in the dark?

6. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Was there at the weekend. What an excellent peice. Very impressive.

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yes it is written for 4 trombones, (and 2 flugals). I think the percussion would have been managable with 3 but we were using 4 for the set test anyway so would have been a bit unfair to drop someone.

8. shedophone

shedophone Member

I dont think it was written for 3. Maybe 3 with 3 arms? lol. there were lots of places where all of us were playing together anyway.

9. Old Hornblower

Old Hornblower New Member

Music of the Spheres

At Contests I make little notes about the performance of the Bands.Towards the end of Music of the Spheres I noted that the music was so wonderful, the playing so musical that I wished it would go on for ever! And, of course, it was technically breathtaking.

Until Saturday I thought that the YBS Blitz at Kerkrade was the best playing I had ever heard.

Music of the Spheres surpassed everything!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having bumped into Philip on Saturday evening I was able to congratulate him on another fine piece. Hard to describe some of the effects, but excellent work for trombones and percussion with a magical horn opening. Another highlight for me came fairly early on with a stunning duet for the two flugels, and I shall certainly look forward to hearing it again on the highlights cd.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Music of the Spheres Apparantly
    YBS
    Apocalypse
    year
    gratitude
  12. BFN

BFN Member

Is that in place of the Rep part, like in his "Between the Moon and Mexico", or is it addition, like the 4th trombone part?

Sorry, just dragging this topic out a bit more - altogether a bit disapointed it's allready been demoted to page 2... Any comments from Mr. Sparke?

13. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

The 2nd Flug is indeed at the expense of rep. The 4th trb is extra. When it's published, it will have the normal three.

14. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Why not publish it with the 4th trombone as an "optional extra" so bands who have got 4 trombones can gain the full benefit of how the piece was originally written.

Just a thought :wink:

15. Anglo Music Press

Because doing a version that will work with just three means rescoring the extra part into the rest of the band. It's not feasible just to have an 'extra' trombone part, I'm afraid.

16. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hmm. Good point Philip. Didn't think of that. Doh. :oops:

PS Fantastic piece of music - by the way.

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Is the extra one a Tenor or a Bass?

18. Anglo Music Press

Tenor - OF COURSE !! :lol:

19. Moy

Moy Active Member

Unfortunately I met Philip before I heard his great piece so didn't get the chance to congratulate him on yet another great work.
    A great man with great music and very very down to earth.
    So although I am late Mr Sparke well done excellent music...yes MUSIC.

Anyone else notice that the really great musicians are usually very approachable and very nice....the others...well maybe not that great after all.

Nice to meet you Philip at last, keep up the excellent work......still looking for some horn solos with piano accompaniments from you......PPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE.
    Promise I will buy and I'll get all my pupils to buy as well.

Must start saving for next year now. :wink:

20. Anglo Music Press

Moira,

I was great to put a face to the avatar!! Glad you enjoyed the piece, it seemed to do it's job! 8)

21. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

talking of doing its job, I believe the winning performances are on Listen to the Band tonight... so I assume it will be making an appearance there.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Music of the Spheres Apparantly
    YBS
    Apocalypse
    year
    gratitude