The Music of Erik Leidzen - a new recording from Leyland Band and guests in 2012

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by johnflugel, Dec 13, 2011.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I have taken a lot of pleasure looking at the scores of both None other Name (a stunning work) and The Children's Friend. The latter I did not know at all until I did a bit of digging with SA banders about their favourite Leidzen piece and this one kept coming back. What a beautiful piece of music.

2. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

The Children's Friend is indeed a great piece, the problem with it is its subject matter, the songs all relate to childhood mortality and the hope of Heaven for children who didn't get to grow up. When it was written those ideas were fairly fresh in the minds and experience of the people playing it and listening to it, but such ideas might not be so welcome or understood today, infant mortality is not really a feature of contemporary society. This is not to say that we shouldn't play it or listen to it and appreciate it for what it is (rather like we do for Mahler's Kindertotenlieder - songs for dead children) and be moved by what it represents, and be grateful for the changes in society that mean that our children do get to grow up.

3. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Thanks for that link Pete. When my dad bought that LP, that was the first time I had ever heard Kingdom Triumphant. Have loved the piece ever since. Many happy memories. Cheers.

Just slightly off topic, I wonder how Bernard Adams would cope with today's instruments and sounds.

5. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Mention of Bernard Adams and earlier messages re. "The Children's Friend" reminds me that Bernard Adams used to claim he asked Erik Leidzen to write this piece on children's songs and Leidzen asked BA to suggest some he'd like included. The perhaps little-known original song of Leidzen's that appears perhaps wasn't suggested by BA.

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

You can now following the progress of this particular project on Twitter @Leidzen/Leyland . This will include news, pictures and updates upto, throughout and after the recording sessions.

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Mainly ;)

All bar one of the takes were the (written) B.......but a high G finished the session, just for you :D

Seriously, though, a great weekend for all....personal highlight for me was some stupendous playing by Davur in the Concertino for Band and trombone....

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Seconded Keith. A terrific weekend - Leyland in very good form and three outstanding soloists. Kevin's cadenza in Songs in the Heart, David Childs artistry in The Song of the Brother and Davur's total and utter command of the Concertino were fantastic.

Pre-production has already begun - watch this space!

9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Track list:

1. Pressing Onward
    2. Songs in the Heart (soloist Kevin Ashman)
    3. Post Bellum Rhapsody
    4. What a Friend
    5. Concertino for Band and Trombone (soloist Davur Magnussen)
    6. Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring
    7. EFG
    8. Sinfonietta
    9. Humouresque
    10. The Children's Friend
    11. The Song of the Brother (soloist David Childs)
    12. Abide with Me
    13. Manhattan
    14. The Old Rugged Cross
    15. None other Name

10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Many of my Favourites amongst that

11. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more and I await the opportunity to order with great anticipation.

12. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

www.leidzen.com (with a pre-order tab) will be live in the next 24-48 hours ;)

13. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

I'm sure that if I could, I would too. :) it looks a great play list, and i look forward to it too.

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'll look forward to hearing "Abide with me" - very subtle setting that we've been working on recently, with rather mixed results!

15. John Brooks

Just placed my order :)

16. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

It's a super arrangement. I really hope SA bands actually use it and hopefully it will find its way in non-SA repertoire too.

17. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

To order the first CD from the crowned North West Champions, see www.leidzen.com

Guest soloists Kevin Ashman, Davur Juul Magnussen and David Childs

18. John Brooks

Congratulations John; quite the promotional coup :)

19. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

what's the word on the release date of the cd?

20. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Hi Peter,

We are working through the final stages of editing at the moment. Hopefully it will be landing with you soon.

Thanks for your patience.

Best,

John