The Music of Erik Leidzen - a new recording from Leyland Band and guests in 2012

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by johnflugel, Dec 13, 2011.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Hi John, Ove played Songs in the Heart with either Norwich or the ISB at the Bandmasters Councils 1966. I fondly remember that as my "Farewell Concert" as I left the UK for Canada the following Wednesday. I think I've still got the program in a box somewhere. Norwich were outstanding on "Song of Courage" a performance which in my book still stands the test of time. However, you said you heard it on vinyl and Ove's solo didn't make it to the official recording so maybe it was from another event altogether. Good memories though!

2. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Think it was in Leeds Town Hall. Northern Congress or something?

3. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

As can be heard on Royal Albert Hall Highlights Vol. 1. ;-)

4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Was that with Jack Gibson?

5. Razor

Razor Member

Would like to see 'The Cross' included. Very rarely heard or played, if at all, these days and to best of knowledge not recorded much.

Good luck with the project.

6. John Brooks

Yes, it was with Jack Gibson.

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Any other favourites? I mean, the track list is decided ;) but interesting to hear what people's favourites are...

8. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

maybe the setting of his song "Peace, Perfect Peace", when it is played with care it is beautiful.
    Hopefully, David Childs can be persuaded to end SOng of the Brother on the B as written rather than a top G but we will see.
    I fully support the cause for these recordings, and hopefully something of the message in the music from these great Salvationists will touch the hearts and souls of the players, but I really wish that Salvation Army bands would play more of this music

9. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Trouble is Peter, you and I both play for SA Bands that currently have the personel to do this (Leizdens music is nearly always on our repertoire) but this isnt the case for most SA corps now.

Many are struggling on a handful of players and lots dont have bands at all anymore (Found myself at Lewisham Corps last weekend, who are bandless).

10. John Brooks

That reminds me of an old Leidzen story. I believe it was with the New York Staff Band, Leidzen was the conductor and Billy Parkins (later to become Commissioner William Parkins) the cornet solost. Parkins put something in that wasn't written and Leidzen immediately stopped the band and required Parkins to apologize to the composer and the audience, suggesting that he had insulted the integrity of both!! I heard Parkins himself tell the story many years ago.

11. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I will leave it up to him...! ;)

12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's part of a Producer's job to guide the musicality, John ;)

13. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

God help us ;)

14. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Just refer him to the 'Song of The Brother' CD that his dad and uncle did :D

15. pbirch

pbirch Active Member

if there is one thing about the music of Erik Leidzen that is really special, it is his ability with cadences, we have just been playing "The Call" and in that piece the final cadence over 4 or 5 bars is nothing short of amazing, and in Song of the Brother to land on anything but the B would require a complete rewriting of the cadential progression of the last few bars. Now I understand that euphonium players want to do it higher and faster, and there is no doubting the ability of David Childs, but there is enough in the piece to demonstrate that without a super high note at the end

16. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Another thing is the importance that gets placed on 2nd parts. There is little queueing. Songs of the Morning, and None other Name both have important 2nd parts not covered elsewhere.

17. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Songs of the Morning being written by Eric Ball. ;-)

18. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Der - True was thinking of the cross!

19. cmf290

cmf290 New Member

None Other name

First played this many years ago as a member of Paisley Citadel Band under BM George Brown, and it has remained as one of my all time favourites. I'm aware that comment has been made that it's little more than an exercise in modulation, however I've always believed it to have a very clear message that has a wonderful climax and is a delight to play.

I'm looking forward to hearing this CD already!

Colin McFarlane
    Govan Citadel Band

ps. Whether David chooses to finish Song of the Brother on the B, or chooses to play a D, G or higher, I'll still remain in awe of his talent, ability and musicianship.

20. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

:)