The Music of Erik Leidzen - a new recording from Leyland Band and guests in 2012

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by johnflugel, Dec 13, 2011.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I am delighted to announce that following the success of ‘Crusader-The Music of Dean Goffin’, a new recording, this time featuring the music of Erik Leidzen will take place in 2012 to raise further money for the Clarence Adoo Trust.

The newly-crowned Brass in Concert Champion, Leyland Band will perform this music and special guest soloists Kevin Ashman (Principal cornet of The International Staff Band), Dávur Juul Magnussen (Principal trombone of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra) and David Childs (Principal euphonium of Cory Band) will record Songs in the Heart, Concertino for Band and Trombone and The Song of the Brother respectively.

The recording takes place on Saturday and Sunday 4/5 February next year and will feature both established and lesser known works from this much-loved composer. The organisers would like to acknowledge the generous support of Buffet Crampon, KMJ Recordings and Leyland Band: without them the recording would not be possible.

More details to come but please do not hesitate to contact me via PM or if you require any further information or would like to support the project in some way.

Attached Files:

2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I think I want one now - Love Leizdens Concertino for Band and Trombone.

Any more info on what else you are putting on it?
  3. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Don't want to include the whole track list yet, but it will include Pressing Onward, None other Name, EFG March, Post Bellum Rhapsody and What a Friend, amongst others.
  4. critic

critic Member

what about is ecxellent sinfonietta
  5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That cost me a few sleepless nights when as a 16 year old I had to play the 2nd movement Eb Bass Solo in the Grand Shield in 1963. Fortunately all went well !

- Mr Wilx
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Definitely another one for the wants list - love Post Bellum Rhapsody. Of course whatever you include there are bound to be those who will be disappointed.
  7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

It might be on there Dave ;)
  8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Which band was that with Ian?
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

John ~ It was with Leeds Model (Peter Kitson) ~ Apparently the band was drowned out 4 bars before the start of my solo by my knees knocking !!
    The Kings Hall could be a very lonely place.
    We were unplaced, but hopefully that wasn't down to me !

- Mr Wilx
  10. John Brooks

John Brooks Active Member

Great news John. Another set of tough choices to make. "The Call" has always been a personal favourite. Whatever the decision, together with the solo items, this will be an outstanding project. You might also want to keep in mind that an earlier recording by the ISB of Leidzen music titled "The Invincible Army" is still available on WoB.
  11. Active Member

True but now only available as a download, the original recording was released over 20 years ago in 1989.
  12. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Thanks John - I remember someone buying me that cassette of that when I was about 10! There will be some crossover (inevitable) but a lot of less familiar material will be on there.
  13. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Great 2 of my Favourites :

That was a Great recording, but much earlier than that Stockholm 7 produced an Album titled This man Leizden I think it was. Ive got that on cassette, but the recording media is now suffering (think the tape is stretched slightly as the play back tempo sometimes slows) probably due the frequency with which I played it when I got it. So it stays in its box now.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  14. JR

JR Member

Leidzen's sinfonietta as a test

You might also remember the last (?) revival of Sinfonietta as a test piece - it was in the late 1980s (87/8ish) at the old Tetley's contest held in Leeds. I remember a very young Andy Mitchell playing the bass solo for Imps with Garry Cutt conducting - Martin Gill was the other Eflat.

The band had Alan Exley on top man with some intersting characters on Rep/2nd cornet, not least Dave Roberts and Richard Grantham and Steve Peacock...I think they ended up 4th.
    I think the contest was won by William Davis

15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I remember it well John. I wasn't playing, but I was in the auditorium. Wasn't it held in The Grand Theatre ?.
    I had my fingers crossed for every Eb Bass player as the Solo was coming up.
    I think it was 1988 because Steve Jarvis approached me on the day and asked me to go to Kippax which I did in Feb 1989. (Steve always was a sweet talker !)
    You mention some good names there. I think Martin has packed in now. He was a great player and a lovely guy. Put in a few years at B&R after the great Imps collapse didn't he ?

- Mr Wilx
  16. JR

JR Member

long lost E flat basses?

It was the Grand Theatre - well remembered!

Martin has packed in (yes I have tried him..) but his sister Helen (now Lyon), Husband John and daughter Jess play in our B band at Skelmanthorpe

When I was 12,500 miles away in Welington, New Zealand in 2005 with Yorks Co-Op i was walking down one of the main streets (Courtney Place) and I heard a voice shout "John!" - I turned around and it was the aforementioned Andy Mitchell! - unbelievable

John R
  17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

What an amazing coincidence to put you and Andy on that street at the same moment in time all those thousands of miles away from your home country !

And, of course, Martin Gill is Steve Jarvis son in law ~ It's a small (Banding) world !

- Mr Wilx
  18. John Brooks

I remember that and had the LP at one time. I think Bernard Adams was the guest conductor and Ove Ericson played Songs in the Heart. I'll have to look in my archives to see if I've still got any of the tracks.
  19. John Brooks

Thanks Carl, you just made me feel very old ;) I remember that recording being released like it was yesterday!!
  20. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

The first time I heard Songs in the Heart was a recording of Ove Erikson. It was a live recording on vinyl, presumably from some kind of congress-type event. I think it was Norwich Band accompanying him and it was fantastic. The audience start clapping about 20 bars from the end.