Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassbandmaestro, Nov 7, 2011.

1. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

For sometime now, I have been getting the i9mpression that bands in this country(UK), have seemed to have lost the originality of producing a varied programme of music for compact discs? Bnads like Grimethorpe, Fodens and Cory have all jumped on the 'band wagon'(sorry for the use of this phrase here), of concert cds. The music on them does look rather like 'variaitons on the same theme'. It seems that continental bands have more original ideas than UK bands.

What do you tmpers think?
  2. wilky

wilky Member

I would tend to dissagree. Fodens release 1 concert cd each year (Patrons cd) but recent cds have been 'Music of Andy Scott' 'Rococo Variations' Maestro (Bram Tovey) as well as solo cds for Jens Lindeman and Glyn Williams (Glyn winning the cd of the year from BBW this year and Jens being runner up). The other cds have all won various cd of the year awards due to the wide range of musical content etc etc.
  3. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

But the mainstream usually gets alook ion. I have the Andsy Scott, Rococo Variations and maestro, but on the whole, as far as the 'usual' concert programming, it nearly always looks the same?
  4. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

The popular CDs, like Patrons Choice ones, Essential Black Dyke etc, all have lots of variety - something for everyone. All the top bands seem really good at commissioning new music. When people go to a concert, they might like to buy some of the music they've heard in it. I LOVE the Rococo Variations CD and the World Within one from Fodens but I wouldn't want to go to a concert which had nothing but test pieces or music by one composer. I like a bit of variety. Enter the Galaxies by Cory is probably my favourite brass band CD - it's definitely not a particularly "high brow" CD but there's lots of new and original music on it. Something for everyone.

I also like hearing the concert type CDs because it gives me ideas of what to ask for at BTB when we're looking for new repertoire to play!
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Don't forget, BBM, these concert repertoire CDs are often a great outlet for new music, as it keeps the concert repertoire turning over. After all, our leading lights spend 95% of their stage time playing to paying audiences, not contest halls, and that's really the way it should be.

Since the overwhelming majority of 'serious' band repertoire is written with a view to being used at a contest, there's a only limited application for it in a less formal context. And only a limited number of such works are produced each year, so it's difficult for bands to get the material. After all, there's only so often you can re-record old classics and get away with it!
  6. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

CD's need to Sell too. Bands are likely to want to make CD's that will have a wide appeal and will therefore sell more copies.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Cory have recently recorded a new album which I think will be a huge success, and will please both camps for popular/original music for band.
  8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Hardly. There is a goldmine of substantial pieces of music written in the past 40 years, some written for contests, many not written for contests, gathering dust in band libraries. And every year, there is at least one CD's worth of new and unfamiliar music presented at the RNCM Festival of Brass. The RNCM has the recording gear in place. If only the festival management could overcome the (presumed) copyright issues and issue a recording of the festival highlights each year, it might go some way to breaking the endless circle of predictable music chosen for contests.
  9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

:clap: +1
  10. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

Excellent post Jim!!!! If thats the way to stop my band and MD having to play 2 of the composers works that we have had to endure 3 times this year, i'ld be eternally grateful to those that sorted out whatever is stopping the Festival being recorded. It used to be of course, in BBC guise and ive long lost the couple of CD copies i had, but i remember being inspired by some of the music.

11. Statto

Statto Member

Brilliant CDs both. The 1992 CD in particular is stunning with live performances of Comedy and Pageantry as good as you'll ever hear. I was in the audience for the BBS concert and it was my first hearing of Wilfred Heaton's Partita. Truly inspirational!

FoB 91.jpg FoB 92.jpg
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Alternatively, you can look overseas for recordings of new works.
  13. Active Member

We have some copies of the 1991 Festival of Brass CD and the 1992 Festival recording can be purchased as a download.

This is an interesting and timely thread seeing as Brass Band World magazine decided that "there are no full band recordings of sufficient weight to merit the awarding of the customary CD of the Year...".
  14. James Yelland

Yes indeed, although some can be difficult to get hold of. The Hannaford Street Silver Band (Canada) have CDs with some very impressive major works on them ("Hartford Accident and Indemnity" being an obvious candidate for a testpiece in my opinion!) And there are some tremendous Scandinavian CD by the likes of Stavanger and Manger playing the works of Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen, amongst others.
  15. Active Member

We've only got a handful of Dynamis (Manger Musikklag) left and it's due for deletion from our catalogue. However, we would be delighted to retain it in our catalogue if there is sufficient demand for it.
  16. James Yelland

Yes, that's certainly the case. WoB has a hand in recordings doesn't it? Do you know the reason why the RNCM festival never gets recorded? And is there any way in which WoB might make it happen?
  17. Active Member

Er, yes, you could say that!

The RNCM Festival of Brass has been recorded and broadcast on BBC Radio 3 in recent years as you'll know. However, I don't think any of the festivals have been available on commercial CD since the aforementioned 1991 and 1992 discs.
    My personal view is that this is a crying shame, especially as it has been written that no one (or hardly anyone) who has a hand in choosing test pieces for our major contests bothers to attend in person. Maybe if there was a commercial CD(s) available, then it would enable this repertoire to be more widely heard.
  18. Statto

Statto Member

The Faireys recording of Prague on the Regionals 2003 CD might have been taken from their live performance at the 1996 Festival I think. Otherwise, zilch since 1992. Maybe the BBC should offer all previous and future Festival performances as downloads?:)
  19. James Yelland

The BBC is no longer involved I'm afraid. It's all run by the RNCM and Paul Hindmarsh now.
  20. James Yelland

Well, that is what I was sort of hinting at. Couldn't WoB itself, with all its knowledge and experience of the recording world, make it happen? You seem to be one of the prime candidates to get things done!