The Mouthpiece Monthly

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Steve, May 24, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

Just a sugestion, how about trying to run a monthly magazine through this fine web forum.

With such an array of places / levels of banding / viewpoints etc I am sure a small publication could be put together once a month / quarterly on a subscription basis to help raise the funds and the profile of our site even further.

I havent really thought the format through but with the vacancies, instruments for sale, commercial adverts sections etc the back pages are filled, a few choice articles would make a lovely read and I for one would be delighted to offer my services in an way to get a publication out on a regular basis. With World of Brass and The Bandsman as the only others available I am sure we can offer some completely different arguments about the banding movement (and maybe even a choice page of threads from the random stuff section).

I honestly think its possible, maybe even get 4br involved as although it is a popular site there are still those internetphobes that cant or wont access their site.

A lot of work I know but with almost 5000 of us and someone like Roger or Music Man at the helm how can it fail.

Thoughts anyone
  2. Sounds a fantasic idea. I would be glad to assist. In any way i could. We need a players mag that is a little more down to earth than the others not that i am suggesting that the Bandsman is too high brow, but something for the younger generation of players, the old formats are a bit stayed.

I think it is a very achievable, good call Steve.
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Just a heads up on this one for you folks... Pleased to inform you that this initiative is already well in hand - in the form of what I am calling "@tMP" - a periodical ezine that is still in initial stages of development.

This, together with several new strategic initiatives will be discussed with the tMP team at our upcoming mgt meeting. More details to follow on how to get your voice heard and your ideas put forward... thanks Steve for the thought...:) leep 'em coming yeah:)

4. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Intresting point.. The British Bandsmen was originally published specifically aimed at the working-class bandsmen in the mid 1880s (i think), instead of the middle and upper classes to which it was customary.

I agree that a more up-to-date version is needed. Brass banding has changed a lot over the last 20 years... a new format of magazine would definatley be welcome.

Good call Steve.:clap:

P.S. Brass Band history... i'm your man.;)
  5. Steve

Steve Active Member

That answers that one I guess, one thing I would like to add that I think a magazine rather than an ezine (i presume that is an electronic mag) would be magic. I am sure you lot will think of that but just adding my thoughts.

Also, was any progress ever made on the online deps database idea that I mentioned. Obviously I think you lot have nothing better to do than tMp, sorry.
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hehe... yes indeed... these things do tend to take a lot of time, effort and cash, (the latter especially being in short supply - donations/sponsorship gratefully received) but watch this space eh:):biggrin:
    Last edited: May 24, 2005
  7. I'm impressed Shaggy! ;) I bow to your superior knowledge. We just need something more up to date.
  8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Sounds like a great idea. i for one have my bandsman subscription up for renewal right now and am likely not to renew it because everything i need is on 4bars rest or tMP.

A tMP publication would be a great idea, and i like a few of the above people would love to get involved if the opportunity arises. Definately one to keep us informed and updated about John! :p
  9. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Not sure I'd be interested in a magazine as such but the e-zine format sounds great and I would certainly go for it.

The problem with magazines now is that the information tends to be old hat as soon as it hits the street due to the speed that new news hits the internet on sites such as this and 4barsrest.

I looked at a copy of the British Bandsmen last week for the first time in ages and although it had some good stuff in it, none of it was "news" to me as I had read it before online and a good couple of weeks earlier. It's not a criticism of the magazine itself but just a sign of the times.
  10. Steve

Steve Active Member

Slight argument to be made to the previous comment. Online banding news is pretty much covered by tmp & 4br so why just an e-zine. a magazine doesnt have to have the latest breaking news to be a good read, it simply needs to be an interresting read with useful information rather than the latest happenings from the yorkshire euphonium and sop merry go round. The reason I suggested it was to reach a LARGER audience, not to emphasise the info us internet users can already access with ease.
  11. I agree 100%, i know loads of non-internet brass banders who would be interested.
  12. Lisa

Lisa Member

Definitely something less stuffy than other band magazines and aimed at/written by younger people would be great! :D
    There are a lot of people who don't look at online band websites, either because they don't know how to or because there is a certain 'geekiness' associated with internet stuff!
  13. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I'll agree with that! How many people on here have friends who think that being part of an internet forum is both 'sad' and 'geeky'. As we all well know its utter tripe!!!

A banding magazine written by and for the younger generation is exactly what the movement is crying out for. It is a stereotypical older generational and working class movement that needs an extra injection of something to reach the wider audience that don't use the internet and/or are younger and want to read something more aimed at them.

Unfortunately a lot of people i know still associate banding with Brassed off and mining and have no idea what it is like to be part of the movement, which not only provides a great hobby but a fantastic social atmosphere too for young and old people alike.

Here's to tMP breaking more new ground! :tup
  14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Musicman, would you please post your thoughts on here once the management team have put their heads together as there seems to be a portion of this sites membership that is more than willing to help (all drunken jokers from the whits however) and opinion is clearly divided on the need for a newer cooler band mag.
  15. groovy

groovy Active Member

This is a great idea! Hope that this comes to something. If you are looking for a budding writer ;) then you've got one here. Sorry to be getting a bit ahead of myself but it's really exciting!
  16. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

from what i know about magazines (very little i hasten to add) an e-zine would be far simpler to arrange, cheaper and more environmentally friendly. personally i would like it better than a paper mag since paper is boring (heh), and it would make tmp-time easier since i could catch up on new stuff quickly without having to surf the entire forum. as you can see i only do this every three days at best so i get a bit behind! with weekly updates on news, and maybe some links to hot threads, not only could we keep up the audience we have here on tmp, but also hopefully catch some people who don't have the time to trawl through the random threads. plus we could make news items clear without having fifteen threads started on the topic of "so where are we meeting for this gig?" or whatever.
    just my two-pennorth :oops:
  17. shandy lee

shandy lee Member

I think this could be a fantastic way of generating interest in the site as well as stimulating other brass players, not to mention generating income. I suspect it could take the form of a (concise mouthpiece) take the more interesting articals and band room news, and put it together with some guest spots. Fantastic, I'd be up for it, but I can tell you Norfolk is not the most dynamic of places to get ground breaking Brass band news. Steve give me a call when you have finished with your mum!!:D
  18. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Any new publication needs to have a clear sense of its own purpose -in other words, an editorial policy. Competition is fine, provided that it does not have the effect of lowering standards, although it has to be said that the general standard of brass band journalism is not particularly high to start with.

If the new publication is to be primarily a news outlet, then it will be competing against 4BR, who already provide a rapid response news service. If it is going to go in for thoughtful, articulate, reasoned debate, then it will be up against the prints, who at least make some effort at features. Sporadic online attempts at this sort of journalism have often tended to be ill-thought out, semi-articulate, rambling and over-long. Inconsequential nattering, tittle-tattle and gossip? Step forward, tmp!! (and this will probably be my last post to this forum!)

So, what it the USP (unique selling point) of this proposed new venture going to be? The editor will need to be clear in his/her own mind. The fact that it will be free is really not enough to justify its creation. Is the brass band world big enough to justify the creation of another publication?