The most bands you've listened to in one go...

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Veri, May 7, 2007.

1. Veri

Veri Member

I'm just wondering how many mad people actually sit through entire contests?! On Saturday, I listened to all 12 bands at the European Brass Band championships, along with the morning bands (3), and lunchtime concert which makes a total of 16 bands. And my back is *still* aching.
    However, my friend Liz said her Mum listened to all 16 bands in the 1st section of the Yorkshire areas, which I think is even more impressive since they were all playing the same piece.
    Can anyone top that?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bands
    Yorkshire
    section
    heheheh
    Entertainments
  3. smaca

smaca Active Member

Listened to all 22 bands at the 1979 British Open. It was my first visit to a "big" contest, and I was amazed at the standard and sounds I was listening to. The test piece that day was Le Carnival Romain, and Faireys with Walter Hargreaves conducting,won the contest.

4. ratley

ratley Member

I saw all 19 bands at the Open last year (and correctly predicted the result!) and all 20 at the Nationals in October....

I'm getting sadder as the years pass :-?

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

13 or 14 last time I went to Brass in Concert (it was still at Spennymoor then), doing 20 mins or so each+changeovers of up to 10 minutes, was a long but very enjoyable day, left home at 6am got back about midnight I think!

6. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Only been to one contest so far :oops: , but listened to 10 of the 16 bands in the 1st section at Stevenage this year. Never thought I'd end up listening to the same piece that many times, but found I really enjoyed hearing the different interpretations etc!

7. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

last year I sat through 20 of 22, 4th section bands at Blackpool, I admit I was getting a bit bored towards the end

8. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The idea of listening to God knows how many bands playing the same piece is about as appealing as having teeth pulled! I usually try and listen to a couple (if I can drag myself away from the bar!) I have listened to entire sections in own-choice contests though.

9. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Thought the same too until I tried it - suppose it depends on the piece?!

10. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I sat through every band in the 4th-1st section of the North of England area this year.

11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I forget exactly how many there were, but I not only sat through, but commented live on tMP about each bands performance at last years Weston Super Mare contest. I'd say there were around 24 bands... each had a write up posted immediately after they finished performing.

tMP is doing the same thing again this year - but with possibly more coverage which we hope to include interviews and fingers crossed - some podcasts.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bands
    Yorkshire
    section
    heheheh
    Entertainments
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I listened to about 10 bands in the 4th and 8 in the 1st section at the SW areas this year. I also listened to the entire 3rd section finals in Harrogate a couple of years ago (when Four Noble Truths was the test piece) which I thought was a bit of an acheivement because I didn't like the piece at all! I hoped if I heard it enough it might grow on me though....

14. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Sadly - i'm a regular for the 2nd section on yorkshire (supporting brother!) 10+ bands - plus then sometimes i'll stay through for the top section. This years Yeovil (a first visit) saw the whole show. And topping it off - Last years National at Harrogate - 20? ish bands in the 3rd section, and then followed closely by the first 7 bands in the 3rd sec.!

I'll get my coat!

15. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

24 at the West Midlands 4th section this year - but i was stewarding, so it was not quite so bad! Good piece too.

16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I've done 10+ on many occasions...but (even though my mobile phone is off)..I usually get a call from the local pub by then ;-)

probably 10-15 in one day is my limit...then again with each band playing 2 pieces at NABBA, that's kinda like 20-30 bands (time wise in the UK).

17. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

most test pieces

I once sat through 22 performances of RESURGAM and after I almost slit my wrists, I hate that piece,I will never play it again.

18. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

Most bands in one go was the Open a few years back, 21 bands.

But what is the longest time? A few years ago I judged an entertainment contest... 12 bands, each of them playing a FULL 2 HOUR CONCERT! over 12 consecutive Sunday evenings!! You have to make detailed notes under those circumstances!!

19. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Hmm, I listened to all of approximately 23 bands in the Midlands 4th Section in 2004, the day after I'd played in the 2nd Section. Gregson's Partita 20 odd times when you're slowly going from still drunk to terribly hungover is hard work!

This year I sat through all the Yorkshire 4th Section other than the first couple of bands, then the whole 2nd Section, then (after going outside to do a lap of the building for 'Fire Regulations') the whole Championship Section. Which was a long day!

20. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Most I have done in one day was when Harrisons Dream was the test piece at the RAH (2000?) Sat and listened to all bar one that day!

When competing myself I never listen to any other bands, even if we are drawn last. That has made for a long day at the area once or twice!

21. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I remember pre-child going to the Champ Section Area and listening to all the bands so in answer to the question - probably about a dozen or so.

Since having child and non-banding wife, I do tend to only listen to bands if I am contesting to be honest. At this year's area, I listened to about 7 bands (luckily drawn last) and I haven't done this for ages. Really enjoyed listening to other band's and it was nice to hear the piece being played as an audience member as opposed to sitting at the back huffing and puffing.

22. Ali

Ali Member

Not exactly listening I know but about 6 years ago I played for 7 different bands, straight after each other at Diggle Hymn and March contest!!!!