The Maunsell Forts-John Macabe

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by scott clark, Mar 14, 2004.

1. scott clark

scott clark New Member

Does anybody know if there has been a recording of the Maunsell forts by John Macabe which was used at the British Open two years ago.
  2. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

To my knowledge, no, but it is due one.
  3. BFN

BFN Member

Radio Three Broadcast the winning (Cory) and runners-up (Fodens) preformances on consecutive weeks about a month after the Open 2002, and I have a tape somewhere... Presumably though the bands will have had the recordings made available to them? If so, hunt for someone who played at the contest and ask if they have a copy! Alternatively, I suppose you could email the BBC?

If you have any luck then please post back!
  4. RondoRotundo

RondoRotundo Member

I can't believe there were two broadcast performances of this piece and I missed them both! I'm sure it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the band press or did I miss it? I have to say that, whilst I am a great fan of John McCabe's music for band, I did struggle on the day, so much so that when it got to about band 12 or 13 and there was only really Cory to come so I went home, however, I did have the pleasure of seeing the music come alive on the score from the Fodens performance, and it was one of those moments when all of a sudden everything made sense, due in no small part to the marvellous Mr. Tovey.