The Masters 2007

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by critic, Sep 23, 2006.

1. critic

critic Member

The list of bands have just been anounced for Cambrige on May 27th 2007.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I agree entirely about the choice of piece: one of my favourite Howarth works, and one with ample scope for expression. I may even try to get along myself next year, especially if most of the bands listed accept the invitation to take part.
  3. jim

jim Member

Great choice just wondering how many percussion parts there are for it Iv just listened to my recording of it and it sounds like timps only
    great choice tho
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Excellent to see a band from North America competing there!!
  5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

since they have stopped it been the ALL ENGLAND MASTERS i do not go anymore shame as it used to be a good contest
  6. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Great piece, might even go for a listen (if my remortgage comes through by then). Pity we won't be playing (especially as it's my birthday that weekend), but we don't seem to receive our invites these days! Honestly, the state of the postal service! :p
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  7. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

And it still is a good contest, if not a better one.
  8. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Things will improve once the post office start using ford vans instead of using those dodgy LDV's :)
  9. postie

postie Member

Come on Ian it's not that bad if all the bands accept the invitations it should be a very good contest.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  10. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Hmm, even then I doubt a letter from Mr Biggs will arrive in Leyland any time soon...
  11. aqua76

aqua76 Member

Meaning its not a good contest because there are bands from outwith England????

What a load of rubbish.
  12. critic

critic Member

Masters 2007

Iagree the last two years have been good contests and to befair they were before the change. Agood list of bands for 2007 and good to see bands from other country's we have to move on
  13. Texus

Texus Member

Brave choice of piece, but a very good one. Where was the published list of invited bands? Remember, the invite list has always been very strong, but who will actually turn up? For me the competition was let down by the decision to open it up and it runs the real risk of being a second tier contest such as the shield but without the benefits.
  14. postie

postie Member

I agree the English National Championship has also come in. Everything changes once in a while no bad thing at all.
  15. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

From 4bars rest

The bands invited to play at next year's event at the Corn Exchange, Cambridge are as follows:

First Old Boys Association
    Aveley and Newham
    Brass Band Rijnmond
    Brass Band Willebroek
    Carlton Main Frickley Colliery
    Desford Colliery (Agg Ind)
    Foden's Richardson
    Fountain City (Kansas)
    Hepworth (Lanson Homes)
    Reg Vardy
    Rothwell Temperance
    Scottish Co-op
    Sellers International
    SWT Woodfalls
  16. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Your loss.
  17. Texus

Texus Member

I would hazard a guess that Faireys and Fodens won't accept their invite, so whilst it is still a good line up it doesn't really have the quality or kudos of the contest 5 or 10 years ago. Should dtill be a great day out though!
  18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

So you haven't been to the revised competition yet?
  19. brittm

brittm Member

Am I missing something? why are Fodens likey not to accept the invitation?

I for one hope we accept ours, In Memorium RK is my absolute favourite piece of brass band music, a real heart felt tribute to the man himself, an intelligent piece of writing. The BBC recording of Dyke with James Watson is just spell binding.

20. critic

critic Member

I hope Fodens accept the invitation whatever they thought about last years result they should be big enough to take it on the chin and return.