The least points awarded in a band contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Simon_Horn, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Hi guys, here's a curious one for you. We all know the maximum amount of point for a band contest is 200 (which I understand has been acheived once) .........but what is the least amount of points anyone is aware of a band being given!! ....160???

Simon

2. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

I conducted a band of kids in the yorkshire area in 1997, on their debut, and got 152 points, the band that came last got 148

3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I may be wrong but I thought it went down for the lower sections so it's more in the 60-90 range?

4. starperformer

starperformer Member

This is another arena where London bands surely have the edge on the competition?

Year: 1992
    Date: Saturday, October 17, 1992
    Venue: Royal Albert Hall, London
    Adjudicator(s):
    Markus Bach, David Read, William Relton
    Test piece:
    The New Jerusalem, Philip Wilby
    Pos Band Conductor Dr Pts
    1 Grimethorpe Colliery Frank Renton 17 99
    2 Desford Colliery Stephen Roberts 15 98
    3 Williams Fairey Peter Parkes 8 97
    4 CWS Glasgow Howard Snell 13 96
    5 Brighouse and Rastrick Allan Withington 11 95
    6 Sun Life Roy Newsome 12 94
    7 Bodmin Leonard Adams 16 93
    8 Tredegar Nigel Weeks 4 92
    9 Cory Major Arthur Kenney 5 90
    10 Rhodian Alan Lawton 14 89
    11 Whitburn Philip McCann 2 88
    12 Sovereign Brass Hugh McNeil 6 87
    13 Asphaltic Newham Melvin White 18 86
    14 Kennedy Swinton Kevin Bolton 1 85
    15 Fishburn Ian Robinson 19 84
    16 Ever Ready Hugh Megarrell 10 83
    17 Nottingham City Transport Martin Heartfield 3 82
    18 Bank's Brewery David Maplestone 9 81
    19 Redbridge John Clark 7 80

courtesy www.4barsrest.com

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  5. starperformer

starperformer Member

this contest is also
    * the highest percentage score ever achieved at the nationals
    * the basis of "Brassed Off"

6. starperformer

starperformer Member

1993 nationals

21 Desford Colliery Stephen Roberts 3 62

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Well yes, but those are out of 100. Not exactly a sensible comparison... And given that adjudicators tend to mark in point increments whatever the score is out of, a percentage comparison isn't very sensible either. Number of points dropped might be better.

There's a reference in Trevor Herbert's book to a band being given 56/200 at a mid-19th century contest.

Wantage 'B' band, Malmesbury(?), 1991ish - 141/200... (70.5% would be a first class mark in a degree course!)

8. postie

postie Member

Fascinating stuff - where have some of these bands gone?

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I think most of them are still going in one format or another.

I think Sun Life are dead - but I could be mixing them up with someone else :confused:

Rhodian - according to 4BR they are still going strong. Never heard of them though.

Didn't Sovereign become Woolley Pritchard? I'm guessing Asphaltic Newham became Aveley and Newham. Kennedy Swinton are dead. I think EverReady became Reg Vardy.

As far as I know, all the others are still recognisable as bands that are currently still active!

10. markyboy

markyboy Member

I know this thread is about the lowest score from a contest, about 2 or 3 years ago Marsden scored 199 and a half points at Delph March Contest on Whit Friday. Surely that cant be beaten?

On a sadder note, re the results of the 1992 Nationals posted earlier, its a shame 4 of the bands that competed that day are no longer around today.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    Simon
    band contest
  12. Fendall

Fendall Member

In the NZ national contest, tests are marked out of 150 points, and there is a set test and an own choice, the aggregate of both decides the overall contest. Now, the year may be incorrect, it was either 1977, or 1980, when in the B Grade, the field (bar one band) attained somewhere between (approximately) 110 and 140 points. However, the Mt Roskill band of Auckland, previously an 'A' Grade powerhouse in Auckland, was awarded 75/150 for the set test, and 75/150 for the own choice test, giving them an aggregate 150/300 or 50%.

The adjudicator, an orchestral conductor named Dobbs Franks, commented that the band sounded like "a string of sausages".

Mr Franks was duly sent a package containing an 'aged string of sausages' by members of the band.

13. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Oh Fendall that's a belting story. I've just sprayed coffee everywhere by laughing!

Not heard any really lowly scores but have heard some pretty bad things being written by judges. One story about Holmfirth contest many moons ago about a 4th section band. The memory fades though.

14. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Not sure about the least points, but I do remember a contest where 1st place came 10 points above the 2nd place band! It was a newly formed Yorkshire band made up of, I think, mainly University students, and in its first ever contest had to start in the 3rd section. I can't remember the contest or the year (?), but I do know some tmp members are currently playing for this band so they may have a better memory. :eek:

The band has since changed its name. I think its name then was called Tecol, and soon rose through the sections to the Championship Section, where they have remained ever since. I remember because the band that came 2nd was Hatfield :biggrin: and although we were beaten by 10 points, we celebrated as if we had won. The bands name now? Sellers!

15. starperformer

starperformer Member

If they'd been more local, they might have got even more...
    Whit Fridays are a special case because there are so many bands, and as a result the losers get hardly any points (I've got some results sheets here with ~135 pts on, and that wasn't for last place)

Contests more than 100 years ago, tended only to be given points down to 6th place, but it was not uncommon for 30-50 points to separate 1st and 6th.

And as for 70.5% being good on a degree course - draw your own conclusions!

16. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Not strictly on subject but how does the points work - I heard that bands start with 200 and then get points off for errata and such like. Is this true?

17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

1 Grimethorpe Colliery Frank Renton 17 99
    2 Desford Colliery Stephen Roberts 15 98
    3 Williams Fairey Peter Parkes 8 97
    4 CWS Glasgow Howard Snell 13 96 - Now Scottish Co-op
    5 Brighouse and Rastrick Allan Withington 11 95
    6 Sun Life Roy Newsome 12 94 - Folded :frown:
    7 Bodmin Leonard Adams 16 93
    8 Tredegar Nigel Weeks 4 92
    9 Cory Major Arthur Kenney 5 90 - Now BAYV
    10 Rhodian Alan Lawton 14 89 - Folded :frown:
    11 Whitburn Philip McCann 2 88
    12 Sovereign Brass Hugh McNeil 6 87 - Now Wooley Pritchard Sovereign
    13 Asphaltic Newham Melvin White 18 86 - Now merged with Aveley
    14 Kennedy Swinton Kevin Bolton 1 85 - Folded :frown:
    15 Fishburn Ian Robinson 19 84
    16 Ever Ready Hugh Megarrell 10 83 - Now Reg Vardy
    17 Nottingham City Transport Martin Heartfield 3 82 - Folded :frown: although many of the players are now enjoying success at Carlton which was part of the same organisation
    18 Bank's Brewery David Maplestone 9 81 - Don't know, may have been renamed?
    19 Redbridge John Clark 7 80

Re charmed's post about the "Tecol" band, now known as Sellers; Huddersfield Tecol was formed (by Philip McCann I think) from students at Huddersfield Technical College, which I think is now part of the Uni.

18. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Sadly alas, gone to the great bandstand in the sky

19. catflug

catflug New Member

I don't think the points are important when we are not informed of how they are awarded...Bands should have a breakdown of the scoring system so they can review and improve in the areas needed!

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

148/200 Northumbria Police Band National Finals 1979