The Last Post Rock

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Matt Lawson, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I have just arranged the Last Post for Drumkit, Bass Guitar, Piano and Trumpet.

Is that wrong? I don't know why, but I had this little rocky sort of thing going then all of a sudden I started singing The Last Post along to it, so I put it in, and it fits surprisingly well. :-?
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Yes. Hang your head in shame. You ought to be made to do aural transcription of tapes of bagpipe music until christmas as a penance!
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Nothing's that bad...or is it? :eek:
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

AD is right, but I'd make it the Christmas after. The Last Post should not be messed with.
  5. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Nothing special. I do music at Huddersfield, you should see the Theory and Analysis coursework...
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Not everybody is going to be completely happy with any arrangement. I wonder how many English people are insulted by Charles Ives' "Variations On 'America'"?
  7. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I'd like to hear it :)

I'm sure worse has been done!
  8. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I think it is sacrilage to mess with such a beautiful tune,as The Last Post,especially if it is played well on a bugle.Ex Drum Major...R.R.F.
  9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

While I wouldn't call it sacrilege and I don't agree that you should hang your head in shame, I'm not sure this particular theme is a good candidate for such an arrangement. I do want to congratulate you on your sensitivity which is the reason for this thread. You are apparently unsure of this yourself and looking for some feedback. I hope you get what you're looking for, some good, sound comment.

As for Charles Ives "Variations on America" also mentioned, our U.S. friends sing "My Country, 'tis of Thee, Sweet land of liberty, Of thee I sing" to that melody. So it's an anthem to them as well and the subsequent words are very stirring and patriotic.

Now, if someone jazzed up "Taps", the U.S. equivalent to "Last Post", I'm sure you would hear the reaction around the world and it would probably be covered on CNN ;)
  10. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Hi John,
    You may not be aware,but The Last Post is played every night in barracks at 2200 hrs(Similar to taps in the U.S Forces)By the duty bugler and also at funerals of members of the armed forces who were killed in action and also to remember those who have lost their lives in numerous campaigns throughout the world.I have played this at a great number of funerals and also on armistice day,also on Remembrance Sunday.
    I am very passionate about subjects of this nature.And feel it an honour to be asked to play The Last Post no matter when or where I have to go to play it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2006
  11. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Didn't the Frank Sinatra character in "From here to eternity" do just that, and quite successfully, if I remember?
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Have already heard a bit of jazzed up Taps, in a boogie version of Goodnight Ladies. Works quite well.
    I don't think it's wrong at all, but it's probably a piece you should be careful about where and when you play. Like playing Aces High at an RAF veterans day...:oops:
  14. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Are we talking about the same thing here?I thought we were talking about our Last Post.Not the American version.
  15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Why? Aces High was from a film. Not really a Luftwaffe March at all.

Whereas, The Last Post is played at solemn occasions such as Armistice Parades and at funerals, including my fathers.
  16. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I could not agree more.To actually make this great tune into a rock melody is a disgrace.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2006
  17. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Try playing Aces High at a veterans day and watch half a dozen old boys walk out in disgust. We did... (Although this was many years ago and did not involve the band I currently play for.)
    I really can't see anything wrong with taking a melody and making something different out of it. It doesn't have to be sacreligious(sp?) or offensive unless you make it so. If your own sense of what is right and proper is so easily influenced by someone else's actions maybe you aren't as committed to it as you think you are. I'm not explaining this very coherently perhaps: the only analogy I can think of is the use of theological symbols e.g a crucifix. Some people are offended by these when used as a fashion item, but if the symbol means something to you then you should be strong enough in your own faith that other people's use doesn't affect you, and if the symbol means nothing to you then you have no right to complain.
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Aces high" was written for the film "Battle of Britain", and it's original title was "Luftwaffe march". The name was changed later to take away some of the German associations, but the writing style still identifies it inescapably with the German forces. With my old band we caused quite a stir whan it was chosen as the opening piece at the film premiere of the 1975 Burt Lancaster film "Moses the law-giver", attended by most of the leading lights of London's Jewish community :oops:
  19. BrianT

BrianT Member

I think you've chosen an easy option by doing a rocky thing with these instruments. More of a challenge would be to arrange it for these instruments so it still sounds poingnant and tear jerking. I've seen some war films where they have the Last Post playing over slow strings - sounds lovely - so I've nothing against arranging the tune per se. But I don't think the tune should be treated flippantly.
  20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Just to make it clear: I don't have any particular moral or religious objection (although I could see why some might), I just think it's a musically lousy idea, like arranging Deep Purple for brass band.