The Last Night of the Proms LAST NIGHT Saturday 10th September

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Sep 11, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Did anyone know anyone who was playing on television last night at the Royal Albert Hall?
    I know the Euph Player
    ANDY FORBERT

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Yes, but I feel too sorry for them to post names - to be involved in the BBC's worst effort yet at putting out the Last Night is a terrible thing. Can someone dispose of Titchmarsh - I don't really care how, but something very painful and allowing him never to be able to speak again would be preferable.
    I would like the same fate for whoever it is who thinks that cutting between the different venues, including pieces that are NOTHING to do with the Sea Songs, is a good idea.

Not impressed - BBC - should do better.

3. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Was it Roger Webster playing trumpet with the BBC Philharmonic at Manchester? Chewing gum as well...

Igg

4. Heather

Heather Member

I enjoyed it. It was just a bit different. I did, however, think the orchestra left alot to be desired...bad intonation, especially the trombones!!..aarrgghh!!

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Lighten up people! No spectacle of that size, involving that many sites and musicians is ever going to be perfect. (Titchmarsh aside, he was not the best choice).

I liked the idea of other British nationalities getting a chance to sing their bits and pieces. One criticism levelled at the Last Night is the unashamedly English jingoism, and i for one enjoyed the move towards a more British (and Australian) feel.
    BMB
    xx

6. Di

Di Active Member

I missed it. :eek::eek::(:(

7. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I've got it on at the moment!! My nana recorded it for me :D the video is rubbish though sounds like they're performing in a swimming pool! The singer bloke with the falsetto or whatever it was, was AMAZING!! I sat there like woooooooooooo! the whole time he was singing!

8. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Yes, was the man himself!:clap:

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I wouldn't worry - you missed an excellent example of why the BBC should not be allowed to put on major musical events.

If they had said "we have a new piece involving performances from around the country" fine, but they didn't - the made a big thing about having gone back to the "original" Sea Songs - which that **** last night WAS NOT. They may have reinstated the bugle calls (hooray), but the inclusion of the other pieces is nothing to do with what was originally written.
    If you don't know the original piece (the one which was performed every year before the BBC thought it would be a great idea to hash it up with bits spread round the country), there is a trombone quartet (which they cut), there is a fantastic clarinet cadenza (which they cut) and there is a start to the oboe solo - which they cut the beginning of last night - whoever was in the box for last night is a musical moron - they could make Titchmarsh look musically gifted.

Thank God for John Williams - a musical genius in the midst of the BBC's best efforts to ruin a great institution

Edit: Please moderate your language! This is a family friendly forum. I'm sure that as a professional and mature person (happy birthday by the way) you are more than capable of airing your thoughts without resorting to expletives. - Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2005
  10. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Trumpetmike - I absolutely agree. The whole thing was a complete hash. The Sea Songs fiasco topped off an incredibly bad example of musical programming. There was no point whatsover in going around to Wales, Scotland and Ireland to hear 3 (badly sung) "national ditties" and completely cutting out what, in essence, the Sea Songs are about - the fantastic trombone quartet and the clarinet cadenza.

It was so frustrating we were sitting looking at each other wondering what on earth was happening. Let's hope they don't repeat that trashy episode next year.

P.S. Happy Birthday by the way - I hope yesterday ddn't spoil it too much ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Last Night of the Proms LAST NIGHT
    ANDY FORBERT
    anyone
    Euph
    television
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I joined in the discussion on the Radio 3 website last year about the travesty of "Sea Songs", but the BBC seem to have chosen to ignore the overwhelming opposition voiced then. As I said at the time, I would have no objection whatsoever to them commissioning some new arrangements, either as stand alone items or as part of a larger work, but to interpollate them into the Henry Wood piece is a real cop-out.

I must confess that I only saw part of the Last Night this year, although Andreas Scholl and John Williams were undoubtedly the highlights.

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Nice to see that there were separate events under the title "Proms in the Park" however only choice available on Freeserve was The Albert Hall, Hyde Park and Glasgow (doubled on BBC4) - presumably views in Northern Ireland got their own too - but did anyone get TV access to the concert at Manchester with David Childs playing?