The Kerwin Sound

Discussion in 'Sponsor Announcements' started by WorldofBrass.com, Oct 7, 2004.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

It's not every week that a tMP member releases a solo CD but we're pleased to have worked with Kerwintootle on her first ever solo CD The Kerwin Sound.

Alex presents a recording that is full of contrasts, not only with the programme choice and solo instruments played but also with the varied accompanists used (brass band, brass quintet, ten-piece brass, Japanese percussion, piano and organ).

Track list;
    The Flamenco (Arr. Kerwin) Bb Trumpet with Glasgow City Brass - quintet
    Panis Angelicus (Franck arr. Kerwin) Bb Cornet with Philip Wilby - piano
    Badinerie No.2 (Bach arr. Wyss) Bb Cornet with Brass Band Emmental - quintet
    Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man (Kern arr. Kerwin) Flugel Horn with Glasgow City Brass - ten piece
    Prayer of St. Gregory (Hovhaness) Bb Trumpet with Philip Wilby - organ
    Trumpet Tune (Boyce) D Trumpet with Philip Wilby - organ
    Three Improvisations in a Japanese Garden (Wilby) Bb Trumpet with Japanese percussion
    Che Gelida Manina (Puccini arr. Kerwin) Eb Soprano Cornet with Philip Wilby - piano
    La Belle Americaine (Hartmann arr. Wilfred) Eb Soprano Cornet with Brass Band Emmental
    I'll Not Turn Back (Bosanko) Bb Cornet and Euphonium duet with Scottish Co-op Band and David Childs
    Just the Way you Look Tonight (Kern arr. Kerwin) Flugel Horn with Glasgow City Brass - ten piece
    Ave Maria (Kashif arr. Kerwin) Eb Soprano Cornet with Scottish Co-op Band
    Slavische Fantasie (Hohne arr. Kerwin) Bb Cornet with Scottish Co-op Band
    The Closest Thing to Crazy (Batt) Eb Soprano Cornet with Brass Band Emmental
    Una Furtiva Lagrima (Donizetti arr. Kerwin) Bb Cornet with Philip Wilby - piano
    Gethsemane (Webber arr. Farr) Eb Soprano Cornet with Scottish Co-op Band

The CD will be available for the first time at the Royal Albert Hall at the National Brass Band Championships on 16th October.
    If you are not going to be there, it is available for pre-order now by clicking on the title above.

2. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

It was good to see Alex around the place on Saturday.
    She even spent some time at our stand signing copies of The Kerwin Sound !

Hope the poster made it back to NZ in good condition, Alex!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  3. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Hello,

Had a brilliant time at RAH (obviously!) and it was great to see everyone and also see the finished product of 'The Kerwin Sound'. The lads and lasses at WOB worked tirelessly throughout the weekend and were the last to pack up for the night!

Well done!

Alex K

4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Awesome review today on 4BarsRest. Iwan Fox concludes his comments with "You see, Alex Kerwin is a wonderful musician, and this CD proves it in full".

I know I won't be alone in seconding that opinion.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When Iwan told me he was reviewing "The Kerwin Sound" (and so I would not be getting a review copy ;) ) I bought my own and would endorse all that has been said. I Particularly like the Wilby and "Gethsemane", but it is all first class. Let's hope we don't have to wait too long for a follow-up, perhaps with one or two more substantial works?

6. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Thanks guys.

Simon showed me the review this morning when I woke up. Wow! Very pleased with the review., obviously.

I have plenty of new music to record and at least two concertos that are planned to be written for me, so the next CD will most probably be of a more serious content.

Cheers

Alex