The History of Brass Band Music - The Early Years

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by John Brooks, Mar 28, 2005.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

No doubt Carl will soon be posting an announcement on this latest CD release from Grimethorpe but I was wondering if anyone had any comments about the content. Past releases have generated some interesting discussion on tMP relative to the music. Some I've heard before (eg: Labour & Love; BB & CF) but others are new to me (eg: Yorkshire Waltzes; Quadrilles). Does anyone have any comment re The Early Years?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Music
    The Early Years
    History
    releases
    CD release
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I was hoping to pick a copy up when I was over at SP&S last week, but they didn't have them in stock. I shall definitely post once I've got one, as I've followed with interest the discussions around the instrumentation and repertoire. I do know that Iwan Fox said to me several weeks ago that he'd been listening to a test pressing and had been impressed by it.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Any more information on this CD? Are Grimey going to use period instruments?

5. Frosty

Frosty Member

History of Brass Band Music-Early Years

We definately used a G trombone on every track.Small bore tenors were used for some.
    On Yorkshire Waltzes you'll find ophecleide and early cornets although I can't remember exactly how many early cornets were used.
    Hope that helps.

Frosty

6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

In high pitch?

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Unfortunately Peter, we're still waiting for the stock to arrive.
    We had to put the CD onto the website as we were committed to advertising it in the Easter issue of British Bandsman.
    We're taking orders for the CD now, but will not charge cards until the stock arrives and is about to be sent out.

Here's the link anyway; http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21339.html.

The first two releases in the series The Golden Era and The Salvation Army Connection are still available individually or at the special price of £19.95 if purchased TOGETHER.