The High Life of the Soprano Cornet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnsop, May 20, 2012.

1. johnsop

johnsop Member

Hi all,
    I've started a blog, specific to the Soprano Cornet and practice. Have a read, it might be useful for others too!!!

http://sopranocornet.blogspot.co.uk/

Let me know what you think. Over time, I will add info on how I approach contests as well as other topics, e.g. breathing, embouchure and so on...

Thanks,
    John Atkinson
    Soprano Cornet
    Pemberton Old Wigan DW Band

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The High Life
    Soprano Cornet Hi
    Soprano Cornet
    John AtkinsonSoprano CornetPemberton Old Wigan DW Band
    read
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Our sop likes to warm up with helicopter noises too...

4. johnsop

johnsop Member

LOL!!!!

Just to let y'all know, I've updated my blog to explain "HOW" I practice this routine so that might clear up some questions. I've had over 300 visitis to the blog since I launched it 48 hours ago, so I'm very pleased. Please comment on it if you've viewed it, I'm open to criticism and welcome questions or suggestions. If there is something you would like me to discuss, specifically, just ask...

Thanks,
    John

5. simonium

simonium Member

Very interesting and I will certainly be keeping an eye on it. The only thing i would dispute is Triple pedal C? I'd've thought the oscillations would be so slow as to prohibit and actual discernable pitch.

6. johnsop

johnsop Member

That's an interesting point. Actually, it does make a discernible pitch. Below triple pedal C can be less clear. I do hope to post videos soon so you can judge for yourself then.

Thanks,
    John

7. johnsop

johnsop Member

Hi all,

I've just posted an update to my routine. Only slightly changed, and explained a litle about why I change thins on my routine and my thought proces when I do that. Feel fee to have a read and to leave a comment!

http://sopranocornet.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks,
    John

8. johnsop

johnsop Member

Hi all,

I have posted another new article on my blog, this time about equipment. I talk about instrument and mouthpiece choice and explain why I play on what I play.

http://sopranocornet.blogspot.com

Thanks,
    John

9. Mark Time

Mark Time New Member

I've just read your blog some pretty useful info in there for a sop novice like myself (started on sop only a few months ago after years on Bb....). Ref mouthpiece I think I need to try a few as you suggest, like the sound of the Sch 11ax you mention may try that. I'm currently playing on a DW Heritage 3B (cornet) mp which does the job for now, pretty sure I'd be better off on a sop specific one but I'm no expert on sop mp's as yet! Cheers

10. johnsop

johnsop Member

Mark Time,

I'm glad you've found at least part of it useful. The Schilke 11Ax is similar in size (inner diameter) to a Wick 3b, but isn't exactly the same. The switch wouldn't feel too strange.

Best of luck,
    John

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not according to the Kanstul Mouthpiece Comparator (http://www.kanstul.com/MPcompare/MouthpieceComparator.html) [ - a very useful tool for those not familiar with it ... ]

The Wick 3/3B inner Rim Diameter is given as 16.75mm, against the Schilke 11A's 16.51 - a substantial difference in terms of embouchure perception. The Schilke 13A is closer at 16.76.

My own experience is that Schilke 'A' cups are, in general too shallow to give a traditional sop cornet sound and tend towards overly bright or piercing sounds. I generally find the 'B' cups a better compromise. However this is not a definitive statement, as the sound quality will vary from person to person, depending on oral/sinal cavity size/profile, and other considerations.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The High Life
    Soprano Cornet Hi
    Soprano Cornet
    John AtkinsonSoprano CornetPemberton Old Wigan DW Band
    read
  13. johnsop

johnsop Member

GJG,

Nothing you have said is wrong. However, having played regularly on a 3b and an 11Ax, they don't feel dissimilar because of the contour of the Schilke's rim, which graduates outwards. The numbers aren't that far away in reality, especially when you consider that all manufacturers measure at a different place. Images are images too and they do look different.

I agree about Schilke A cups, very shallow. The backbore, that is quite open, helps to balance this. Because Schilke's numbering system isn't necessarily universal, an 11B wouldn't feel the same as an 11A. This is why I moved to Warburton.

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  14. bannisa

bannisa Member

Nobody can really advise on mouthpieces really as it is a personal thing. For what it's worth I use a Schilke with a berrilium bell and a Schilke 10B4 mouthpiece. It works for me. I find A cup mouthpieces far too shallow. Schilke recommend the 14A4x for soprano but I can hardly get a note out on it and it sounds like an old gas pipe too. My only advice would be to choose something and stick with it.

Andrew Bannister
    Soprano cornet
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band

15. johnsop

johnsop Member

Hi Andrew,

Ofcourse, mouthpiece choice is a personal thing, but for some people, the thought of looking for a mouthpiece can be daunting when you only ever used Wicks on cornet (which is a point I highlight in my blog).

Having played a 14Ax a little, I agree with your description. Not a nice mouthpiece, imho. Never tried a 10B4, but again, personal preference is the key.

Thanks for your input.
    John

16. johnsop

johnsop Member

Hi all,

I've added a new blog post this evening. An update to my routine and a little info on my approach to Whit Friday. Hope you enjoy it - leave a comment to let me know!

http://sopranocornet.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
    John

17. dhanimiller

dhanimiller Member

I find that a Bach 17C gives a nice balance of tone and ease of range for me. Some might consider it small, but the C cup gives it a decent bit of depth, warming the sound up and the narrow cup diameter making the range easier imo.

I'm not normally a sop player myself, but how common is it for a Sop player to have 2 mouthpieces onstage with them?
    I've seen a few swap to something smaller for the pyrotechnic parts!

18. johnsop

johnsop Member

The 17C does work well because it is balanced. Too small for my lips though!

Swapping mouthpieces is common. The guy at Oberosterreich (sp?) Christian Hollenster (?) changes between a Denis Wick S (for most stuff) and what looks like a Schilke for "pyrotechnics". I prefer one mouthpiece, but can certainly see why two would be of use.

19. johnsop

johnsop Member

Hi all,

Another blog update this evening about a change in my routine. http://sopranocornet.blogspot.com

I am also planning on discussing some topics in the near future, i.e. techniques, performing, listening that sort of thing. Let me know what you think MUST be included!

Thanks,
    John

20. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

That was quite a fascinating read.

Thank you.

21. johnsop

johnsop Member

Glad you're enjoying it Chris. I'm hoping to update it this weekend with a change in routine and some more topics, but with a joint concert in Motley with Yorkshire Imodium and contest week leading up to the English Nationals, I could be a little busy...

22. Mark Time

Mark Time New Member

Thanks Andrew - I have since accidentally stumbled across and am now using a Stomvi 7E mp (after trying another sop players). It is easier to hit the high stuff with it, although I think my tone quality has suffered a bit....might try out a few of the Schilke mp's including the 10B4 you mention and see what they are like, although finding somewhere with a good choice actually in stock is easier said than done. Mark