The Hardest Promotion

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Sep 22, 2006.

IYOUNG Member

With the area peices now announced lots of bands will be in new higher section from January 2007, which do we think is the hardest promotion to handle and why?

Fourth to Third
    Third to Second
    Second to First
    First to Championship
  2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I have seen promotion from 4th up to 1st (over a long period). I would have to say (for me) it was 2nd to 1st. I always find my band jumps around the 2 sections which basically means we're a good 2nd section band. What is always frustrating is the points system (another thread pending) because the times we have been in the 1st section we always seem to be in the pack (as it were). If out of 15 bands - you come 10th then to me that suggests you are in the correct section but have some room to develop within it, however, do that at a couple of areas and you get demoted - but you still are a good 2nd section band so you get promoted again the year after.... and so it goes on!! I suppose that we would need to strengthen our ranks immediately after promotion but we like to work with the band we have - bit of a catch 22....
  3. starperformer

starperformer Member

i would say its the step up to "proper banding" where everyone in the band at least knows what they are aiming for musically (even if they can't necessarily do it) and where not being able to play a difficult section is occasion for embarrassment -> independent practice.

i would say that a step of this kind often exists somewhere in the 1st section. any link to actual promotion or relegation is purely coincidental. where this step is depends entirely on what region you are in. you can usually tell where it is because it is often the sticking point when 4th section bands rise meteorically up through the sections.

there is a further obvious step up when everyone in the band knows not just what they are aiming for, but can also do it and sound good doing it. this usually distinguishes the albert hall qualifying hopefuls from the fodder that are just there in the hope of staying up.
  4. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Yes possibly the final step up from 1st to championship could well be the toughest. I guess a further question would be that it's not just a case of the hardest promotion, but also once you are promoted, being able to stay in the higher section and moving onwards from there.
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I think that 1st to Championship is the hardest promotion. There's been many instances of bands rising quickly from the 4th to the 1st and championship. In the lower sections, bands that have a reasonable technical ability, that are tight and in tune, generally have enough to get up to the first section. It's then that bands require more strength in depth to make the next step up to the top level to stay there, which is where many bands stall, and the yo yo effect is often seen at this level.
  6. Texus

Texus Member

Having just made my first appearance at the Open, i would have to say that this jump in quality and class is huge. From a relatively level playing field in the Shield to the equivalent of the champions league!
    Only having two seasons to make a mark is just as tough here as in the Areas.
  7. barrytone

barrytone Member

All promotions are hard in their own way, in my experience it's promotion from second to first that's hardest. Staying in first is even harder. Main problem with first is that there are always championship section bands who are struggling, for one reason or another, who have had a couple of poor results at the areas and have been relegated to first section.

In reality many of these bands are still capable of performing at Championship section level and have players of that ability. It's so hard for a good second section band not to feel disheartened when they're promoted to first and struggle to compete with these bands.
  8. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

I have seen my band go from 3rd, 2nd and first section since 2000. I can tell you that the hardest jump is definitely First to champ, (although I only have experience of the yorks area). And I really don't envy any of the promoted bands who are facing isaiah next year. I know that we'll find it hard even though were able to consolidate this year and gain sponsorship....
    That's another thing. Financially, the top section costs alot more (As we have found). The very best bands have professional players in them, and they don't play for nothing do they?
  9. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Our MD tells us not to think about what the opposition is doing. Any band/player is capable of competing at a higher level than they think.
  10. smaca

smaca Active Member

IMHO 1st Section to Championship is the biggest leap. If I can use the 2005 example where 1st section test piece was Comedy, then the reward for doing well with that was Journey to the Center of the Earth in 2006. A quantum leap in many areas(including percussion). Even Voyage of Discovery to Isaiah 40 is a monumental step for most bands.
  11. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

an excellent arguement for making the 1st section Area pieces more harder, whats the point of being able to produce a good performance on a pice like Comedy if you don't have the tachnical skills around the band to tackle something like Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I don't know Wayfarer so I can't comment on it (yet) but I hope it will be a genuine challenge to the 1st section bands.
  12. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

I totally agree with this. Our band has gone through the sections 4th section in 2000 and championship 2007. We struggled last year to get a band together and got 10th but cos of the points we were promoted. We could have appealed -but hey- lets have a go.
  13. westburykid

westburykid Member

Our first year in the Champ section was a tough one.
    We played after Leyland and before Fairys at the area!!

To play at championship level, every member of the band has to step up to that level.
    There are few hiding places in Top Section pieces.
  14. Owen

Owen Member

I think 1st to championship must be the toughest, especially if you then find yourself sandwiched between Black Dyke and Grimethorpe come the draw on the day of the areas. It is a daunting thought, but a fantastic opportunity at the same time!
  15. dickyg

dickyg Member

1st to Championships I think. The winning stops and the Psychological effect of going to the Area for example knowing that you havn't a chance of getting in the prizes without devine intervention is a hard one to cope with for some players.

The technical demands of pieces is an issue too, but more taxing is filling empty chairs, which in championship section means only players of a high level of ability will do. you can carry a few people who are committed but of limited abilty lower down - you certainly can't at the top!!!!
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I think Some People find being promoted from Yorkshire to London the hardest promotion :rolleyes:
  17. agentorange

agentorange Member

As many have said, the jump from 1st to championship is immense, especially in my region (Yorkshire). As well as the big boys - Dyke, Briggus, Grimey, YBS etc there are many other bands (Sellers, Rothwell, Carlton Main, Hepworth etc) who are also quality outfits ready to take advantage if the elite don't perform on the day. Anyone promoted into this section really have got their work cut out just to survive (as we found out a couple of years ago!).
  18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

it will be a genuine challenge for us 1st section bands:clap:
    Nice and tuneful yet a great piece to get stuck into
  19. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

It depends which area you are in and how many bands compete.

In the West of England, any band falling from the Third Section into the Fourth will then find they have a huge average mark (last year 26 bands entered) therefore they are condemned to three years in the basement.

To get promoted you need less than 20 points and sometimes less than 16. With an average mark of 13 carried into any year you could only go back up after two top three finishes in consecutive years.

My band achieved that and still missed out on promotion by one point. Only a top six finish in the third year would have guaranteed us promotion. Thankfully we achieved the desired result for promotion.

All we need to do now is stay in the Third Section.
  20. Vic

Vic New Member

I reckon first to championship is the toughest, cos it's the one that may see you losing players for various reasons.