The hardest exercise?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by deave, Apr 2, 2005.

1. deave

deave Member

what is the hardest exercise you can do from a study book?

i reckons number 46 on page 20 of the arban is THE hardest. at crotched = 80 with some loud and quiet dynamics written in!!

deave - future comet employee of the month

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Don't need an exercise book - long notes, nice noise, in tune with dynamics.... ;)

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Well-Known Member

To play a simple exercise well is often more difficult than to struggle through the harder looking pieces.

The Arban exercise is certainly one that should be played, but I wouldn't class it as the most difficult etude written yet. I have had the chance to see some solo etudes written by a good friend of mine, Rex Richardson. He is a Yamaha Artist and a member of Rhythm & Brass (www.rhythm-brass.com) and has written a number of solo works for himself to perform. These not only involve ludicrous conventional technique (he is something of a monster player) but also includes techniques such as multiphonics. If you find any pages in the Arban taxing, never look at this sort of music - it will terrify you:D . I know he is putting together a book (and has been for some time) to include exercises such as this - so this is a prediction for the future.

From the exercises in my own study book collection (quite extensive):

If you are not the greatest mathematician - anything from Changing Meter Studies - Thomas Stevens
    The end few lessons from Systematic Approach to Daily Practice - Claude Gordon
    XIX Moto Perpetuo, from 20 Atonal Etudes - Julien Falk

There are basically too many to list. The exercise I find hardest is usually the one I am working on. Trying to get it sounding just how I want it.

4. ju33les

ju33les Member

My Arban has been used soooooooooooo much that the page numbers have rubbed off......................:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice