The hardest exercise?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by deave, Apr 2, 2005.

1. deave

deave Member

what is the hardest exercise you can do from a study book?

i reckons number 46 on page 20 of the arban is THE hardest. at crotched = 80 with some loud and quiet dynamics written in!!

deave - future comet employee of the month

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Don't need an exercise book - long notes, nice noise, in tune with dynamics.... ;)

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

To play a simple exercise well is often more difficult than to struggle through the harder looking pieces.

The Arban exercise is certainly one that should be played, but I wouldn't class it as the most difficult etude written yet. I have had the chance to see some solo etudes written by a good friend of mine, Rex Richardson. He is a Yamaha Artist and a member of Rhythm & Brass (www.rhythm-brass.com) and has written a number of solo works for himself to perform. These not only involve ludicrous conventional technique (he is something of a monster player) but also includes techniques such as multiphonics. If you find any pages in the Arban taxing, never look at this sort of music - it will terrify you:D . I know he is putting together a book (and has been for some time) to include exercises such as this - so this is a prediction for the future.

From the exercises in my own study book collection (quite extensive):

If you are not the greatest mathematician - anything from Changing Meter Studies - Thomas Stevens
    The end few lessons from Systematic Approach to Daily Practice - Claude Gordon
    XIX Moto Perpetuo, from 20 Atonal Etudes - Julien Falk

There are basically too many to list. The exercise I find hardest is usually the one I am working on. Trying to get it sounding just how I want it.

4. ju33les

ju33les Member

My Arban has been used soooooooooooo much that the page numbers have rubbed off......................:rolleyes: