The Gordon Higginbottom Collection

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by white-light, Dec 14, 2010.

1. white-light

white-light New Member

Hello

Does anyone have The Gordon Higginbottom Collection for Eb Tenor Horn and Piano? Just trying to find out how high the song Romance goes!

Thank you :)

2. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

I haven't got the music in front of me but off the top of my head there is nothing higher than a 'top C' in there...

3. white-light

white-light New Member

Thats brilliant thank you so much - if you could check for sure when you have the music I would be very very grateful. The people on this board are so friendly and helpful

4. bigsound

bigsound Member

Is this still available to buy? a friend (horn player) would love to get hold of it.

5. white-light

white-light New Member

Yes, Boosey.com said they can order it in

6. prince_turhan

prince_turhan New Member

Hi there,

The Romance is fairly high pitched - lots of top A and Bb with a B and C thrown in! Lovely tune.

Cheers

7. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Yeah had a look at the part and it is mostly in the middle/upper register but nothing too taxing. In the main E to Bb with, as stated above, a B and a C thrown in.

8. white-light

white-light New Member

Hello

Thank you so much for your help, you are all so friendly! I rang the local music shop today and asked if they had sheet music for 'Romance' for e flat horn and they do! I asked how high it went and they said top A, so thats a little better :) especially with nerves etc at the comp. I do wonder what grade approx it is about, the music. Well it arrives in a few days so we shall see! Thank you again :biggrin:

9. Al

Al Member

Why not get on Facebook and ask Gordon himself!

Failing that you could go to Blackpool for the North West Regional Championships in February. I think he is taking a band and I heard he reckons it could be his last time before properly retiring to Spain.

10. white-light

white-light New Member

Make friends with Gordon, I might just do that :) Do you think he will be my friend? Are you his friend to know that he is on Facebook in the first place? Blackpool is aggggggggggggggggges away but I like your suggestions

11. prince_turhan

prince_turhan New Member

Hi white-light,

Gordon Higginbottom is one of the world's gentlemen - in his day a fantastic player and performer who in my opinion was totally responsible (no disrespect to ther great horn players) for bringing the tenor horn into the limelight it deserves. I knew him via the NYBBW, then and even better as a teacher for 3 years when I was studying music in London. He is a lovely person and I'm sure he would give you the time of day and more - via facebook or personally.

Romance is about grade 6 standard, not because of any difficult technical passages but because it is fairly high - as has been discussed.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010