The Gordon Higginbottom Collection

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by white-light, Dec 14, 2010.

1. white-light

white-light New Member

Hello

Does anyone have The Gordon Higginbottom Collection for Eb Tenor Horn and Piano? Just trying to find out how high the song Romance goes!

Thank you :)

2. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

I haven't got the music in front of me but off the top of my head there is nothing higher than a 'top C' in there...

3. white-light

white-light New Member

Thats brilliant thank you so much - if you could check for sure when you have the music I would be very very grateful. The people on this board are so friendly and helpful

4. bigsound

bigsound Member

Is this still available to buy? a friend (horn player) would love to get hold of it.

5. white-light

white-light New Member

Yes, Boosey.com said they can order it in

6. prince_turhan

prince_turhan New Member

Hi there,

The Romance is fairly high pitched - lots of top A and Bb with a B and C thrown in! Lovely tune.

Cheers

7. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

Yeah had a look at the part and it is mostly in the middle/upper register but nothing too taxing. In the main E to Bb with, as stated above, a B and a C thrown in.

8. white-light

white-light New Member

Hello

Thank you so much for your help, you are all so friendly! I rang the local music shop today and asked if they had sheet music for 'Romance' for e flat horn and they do! I asked how high it went and they said top A, so thats a little better :) especially with nerves etc at the comp. I do wonder what grade approx it is about, the music. Well it arrives in a few days so we shall see! Thank you again :biggrin:

9. Al

Al Member

Why not get on Facebook and ask Gordon himself!

Failing that you could go to Blackpool for the North West Regional Championships in February. I think he is taking a band and I heard he reckons it could be his last time before properly retiring to Spain.

10. white-light

white-light New Member

Make friends with Gordon, I might just do that :) Do you think he will be my friend? Are you his friend to know that he is on Facebook in the first place? Blackpool is aggggggggggggggggges away but I like your suggestions

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Romance
    The Gordon Higginbottom Collection for Eb Tenor Horn
    Gordon Higginbottom Collection HelloDoes
    song Romance
    Eb Tenor Horn
  12. prince_turhan

prince_turhan New Member

Hi white-light,

Gordon Higginbottom is one of the world's gentlemen - in his day a fantastic player and performer who in my opinion was totally responsible (no disrespect to ther great horn players) for bringing the tenor horn into the limelight it deserves. I knew him via the NYBBW, then and even better as a teacher for 3 years when I was studying music in London. He is a lovely person and I'm sure he would give you the time of day and more - via facebook or personally.

Romance is about grade 6 standard, not because of any difficult technical passages but because it is fairly high - as has been discussed.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010