The Gift of Music

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Dec 16, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I heard this song performed on the TV this morning, and its beautiful!

Was just wondering if anbody knows the lyrics for it, as I can't find them anywhere online!

Many thanks

Fi

xx

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... any idea who sang it?

3. meandmycornet

well i've found it on itunes, sung by a chappy called John Rutter.... haven't a clue who was singing on TV this morning though!

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I found the album it's on, but no lyrics to be seen anywhere!

5. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Could have sworn John Rutter is a composer! He composed Suite Antique and something carol, can't remember it's exact name!

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Shepherds Pipe Carol. He is a composer, but I suspect there may be more than one John Rutter :biggrin:

7. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

This is unlikely, however, I've found a cd of John Rutter's Music with this song on it, performed by the Cambridge Singers. The cd is entitled.....'The Gift of Music'
    here

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  8. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Yes, I just thought of BOTH of your points! I remember Shepherds Pipe Carol... quite nice actually! And played the Prelude to Suite Antique for my grade 6!

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Only one John Rutter, the composer, I have found. The album jingleram has is the one I discovered on the net. Maybe he could get the lyrics from the sleevenotes?

10. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Ooh sorry I wasn't clear enough, I found it by trawling through the net, didn't physically find it, m'apologies!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Gift of Music
    thanksFixx
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

-aw well then, never mind ... we are all back to square one again! Composer of the song was listed as anonymous so with such a well known phrase, it might be difficult to find. :-?

13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Taken from here

14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Of course, it goes without saying that reproducing lyrics on the internet (that aren't in the public domain) without express permission is in breach of copyright ;)

/Humbug mode

15. meandmycornet

Gosh! I didn't expect to cause such debate and discussion! :tongue: I only wanted to know the lyrics :tongue:

I think you are all right though... John Rutter is the composer... not sure who it is singing it now :confused:!

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- my oversight as I was quickly scanning through sites! Apologies ... and still no sign of the words. :frown:

17. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

OOOH sorry to go off topic... but isn't Star Carol a another by Rutter?! I page turned in chamber choir enough times, I should know!

18. Veri

Veri Member

Yes, John Rutter has written LOADS of slightly cheesy, but rather good choral music, including a goodly number of Christmas pieces:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Rutter-Christmas-Album/dp/B00006JJ4T/sr=8-1/qid=1166348846/ref=pd_ka_1/203-1898237-0410353?ie=UTF8&s=music

I highly recommend this cd:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Rutter-Collection-Cambridge-Singers/dp/B00006LIEZ/sr=8-2/qid=1166348888/ref=pd_ka_2/203-1898237-0410353?ie=UTF8&s=music

:)