The Four Noble Truths - new Philip Sparke cd

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by PeterBale, Sep 18, 2003.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

(Thought I'd get in before Philip himself with this one :wink: )

Looking around for something to spend my well-deserved birthday money on at the weekend, I came across this cd, recently released by Anglo Records. Unlike some recordings emanating from publishers keen to encourage sales of their music it consists of a fairly wide range of substantial original pieces and arrangements by Philip Sparke, most of which were new to me.

With performances by Fodens, Brass Band Burgermusik Luzern and Soli Brass, I particularly enjoyed "The Four Noble Truths", written this year for the Dutch Championships, and "Portrait of a City" - though I shall have to index it carefully so it doesn't get confused with Darrol Barry's piece of the same name!

It is good to hear the two Reger transcriptions, as organ music goes well on brass, and another recording of "Cambridge Variations" can never go amiss.

If you are looking for something different to add to your collection, it is well worth giving this one a try - they were selling it at a special price in Birmingham, so check things out at Dundee.
  2. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Nice to know!

Dear Peter,

Nice to know it's out. I haven't seen it yet!