The Four Noble Truths - First Impressions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Well, we had our first look at TFNT last night, and I must say I think it's a winner.

I can't wait to get my teeth into it even if it is on Bb Bass :p
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Look, when it's suggested that you should try and digest the music, we don't mean literally! ;-)

I must admit, my first impressions are that it's a cracker. (I'm particularly taken by the passage that includes the cup-muted, discordant cornet entry towards the end of the 3rd - I think - movement. Wonderful!) Bit of a swine of a turnover for solo cornet 1 and 2 in the first movement, though.

This piece will test everybody but particularly the middle of the band who have some quite tricky rhythms to negotiate.

Lovely piece!
  3. Di B

Di B Member

Haven't played it yet but I have listened to a recording of it.....

I think its a nice, easy on the ear piece that has everything in it. The tightness needed in some of the rythmic passages sounds interesting, and there is some traditional melodic stuff in there too. From the CD I think that it will be one of those pieces where even if you practised from the beginning of June until the Finals you would still find bits to polish as there seems so much detail in there - those who have already played it - am I right or well off the mark?

Can't wait to get stuck into the part! :lol:
  4. em_d

em_d Member

fantastic! great piece! especially the second half of the third movement. gonna really enjoy working on this one.