The Eye of Sauron

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MoominDave, Jan 15, 2009.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member to Google maps)

Any suggestions as to what this might be? The red bits are a couple of hundred metres from side to side.
  2. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

That is odd..... No idea
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I reckon the black bits are a body of water, and my best guess is that it's some kind of odd reflection, maybe off minerals on the bottom? But I'm groping.

There's something else that I can't identify, just off the map screen to the East; looks a bit like Sauron's tennis court.
  4. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

The roofs of an industrial complex?

If you look at the topo map it seems to be in a depression or surrounded by huge mounds of earth. The black line running horizontally below it and with a branch heading up towards the red area is the railway according to the map.
  5. David Mann

David Mann Member

Looks like a coal mine to me.
  6. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I agree with the idea that it is a reflection, but the colour is very vivid. Nothing else in the are shows up so brightly. I reckon it's the reflection of the sun in a pool of waste liquid/slag from a local industry.
  7. MoominDave

8. ronnie_the_lizard

Have you tried finding it with a different satellite image such as Google Earth instead of Google Maps?
  9. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I have and there are no close up satellite pictures.

however, a quick google search revealed an iron ore mine....
  10. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Aliens, defo!
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

This may seem a stupid question but........

Why were you looking at random satellite pictures of China in the first place?
  12. MoominDave

Waiting for computer code to run...
  13. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Did you not know that Dave is a secret member of the CIA sleeper cell in the UK, and secretly monitors the Chinese.

His brief, to search for missing aliens, stolen from America in the early 80's:wink:

Meanwhile back on planet Craig....................................
  14. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yeh, just ask Mr. Rimmer รก la Red Dwarf ;)

"Lister: Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it? You lose your keys, it's aliens. A picture falls off the wall, it's aliens. That time we used up a whole bog roll in a day, you thought that was aliens as well.
    Rimmer: Well we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?
    Lister: Rimmer, ALIENS used our bog roll?
    Rimmer: Just cause they're aliens doesn't mean to say they don't have to visit the little boys' room. Only they probably do something weird and alien-esque, like it comes out of the top of their heads or something.
    Lister: Well I wouldn't like to be stuck behind one in a cinema."

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's a large nickel and copper mine located in Jinchang according to Ms Google! No confirmation at that particular place though!