....the euph...what?!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sugarandspice, Oct 1, 2004.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

just wondering how you go about explaining your instrument to the mere mortals of the un-banding world?! i guess this isnt really a dilema faced by trombone players, as everyone seems to know what the trombone is! but what would you say to explain a euphonium, or flugel or tenor horn?! (or do you just not bother?!)
  2. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

You would be suprised!

When a flugel playing friend of mine was trying to explain his instrument to a lay-person he went into great detail about the relationship with the tuba, etc.. At the end of the length y explaination the person he was speaking to said, "So basically it's sort of like a big trumpet". The look of pain on my friend's face still haunts me today...
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

About my cornet: I usually say something like "It's sorta like a trumpet, but it has one more bend and it has a much nicer sound" :)
  4. rickshaw

rickshaw Member

I agree it is difficult.

The 2 answers I usually give are, Have you seen Brassed Off? Well it's the instrumnt Ewan McGreggor(sp) plays.

Do you know what a Tuba looks like?
    Well a tenor horn is a similar shape but a lot smaller

Both very basic answers but shus them up!
  5. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

yeah i know exactly what u mean, i'm always like it's a"smaller version" of a trumpet, and if they still don't get it....i give it and just say it's a trumpet:D
  6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Usually the mention of flugel is strange enough (enter lots of attempts at saying this new amusing word) then add the word horn and the inner child comes out and giggles. Then wait for the link when the person realises how the 'horn' is played......hilarious:rolleyes: !

As for a description, it's like a trumpet, but bigger with a fatter sound works ok,or....."have you seen brassed off...?"
  7. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

yeah but what if they haven't seen brassed off???
  8. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

They never have!!
    I actually made a worksheet of all of the instruments in a band for a presentation. I should take that with me and point to the picture, it'd save a lot of hassle!
  9. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

ohhhhhhhh can i get a copy of it???!!!!!!!
  10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

or a bariphonium?! ;)

11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The real answer, of course is that the Euphonium is a tuba - it's simply pitched an octave higher than the BBb (which, I was taught, is called the double Bb because it plays two octaves below the pitch on the page, while the euphonium is a single Bb tuba playing one octave below the written notes).

In the US, if a non-brass band person has heard of a euphonium, they are likely to expect it to have two bells.
    And we also have the whole confusion over here about whether we use tenor horns or alto horns.
  12. sugarandspice

OI!! enough of that! thats the last time i come and play for st austell! i mean honestly!! insulting my EUPHONIUM like that!! it is not a bariphonium, it is merely a "girly" euphonium!

- i tend to work only those lines, but hope that describing it as a "baby tuba" gives a good picture- then smile sweetly and hope its not really the instrument they care about!
  13. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

When I explain that a Eupho is "a small tuba" most people seem to get my gist.Am having real problems with the Baritone though !!
    Ended up taking it into my local one night after rehearsal and actually showing the punters what it was - was quite good as a crowd of them came down to our job in St James park the following weekend.
  14. sugarandspice

ah, t'is not really a problem in the pub- conductor is the landord, we have one wall devoted to band pictures, so everyone can see the instruments, also got really old cornets (in A???) scattered arond the place! and our trophies from bugle!!
  15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I use the "Have you seen Brassed Off?" approach. Failing that, I usually e-mail them a link to a picture of a flugel! If it's someone at work, I just tell them to come down to my desk (we're in the basement :-? ) on a Wednesday when I usually have it with me prior to band rehearsal at night... (don't like leaving it in the car). They always ask me to play it for them when I get it out of the case but I "have to consider all those people trying to work" ;) and tell them to come to a gig to hear me!

16. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Flugel = pregnant trumpet ;)

This usually gives them the idea.
  17. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

he he yes:-D

i use flugel = fat trumpet and also try the 'have you seen brassed off?' line :rolleyes:
  18. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Many years ago I changed school and when asked by the music teacher if I played any instruments I replied "the Baritone" expecting to have to explain that it is a brass instrument and not just a vocal range.

To my surpirise the teacher showed no surp[irise - i later discovered that when he was at colledge in manchesterne played percussion with Dyke.

They do understand us sometimes :)
  19. Chis

Chis New Member

20. HBB

HBB Active Member

I don't bother!