The End Of Stockport Brass.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Boarshurst, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Boarshurst

Boarshurst Member

It is very sad to hear of the dis-banding of Stockport Brass, (ex BT Band).
    It is stated to be due to financial problems according to 4br.
    Yet another Championship Band unable to exist for financial reasons.
  2. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

A very sad day indeed, when will this end?
  3. Tubah

Tubah Member

As a registered player with Stockport Brass may I add my condolences to all involved. It was not without a great deal of hard work that this decision was reached.

I thank all involved in allowing me to play with such a talented group of musicians, matched by our MD.

RIP Stockport Brass

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I reckon it will end when bands finance their activities (Hobby) by their own musical efforts, and do not rely on sponsorship to ensure their continued existence.

I fear we are going to see a lot more of these collapses as the "Crunch" continues.
    I'm not saying that this is the case in every instance, but it does seem a shame that when the sponsorship money stops, it sometimes appears that players just move on to other bands.
    Human nature I suppose, and a symptom of the times we live in.

On the bright(ish) side, at least there's 25 more good players available to fill empty chairs in other bands in the NW area.
    Every cloud etc........

- Wilkie
  5. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

Sad to hear of any band folding but particularly one in my hometown that I have depped with on numerous occasions several years ago. Some very fine players have passed through this band over the years and I hope the current members are able to continue playing with other local bands in the near future.

6. horn1

horn1 Member

We didn't actually have the problem of players leaving when the sponsorship went. We did however struggle to fund ourselves through our own musical efforts. Despite what anyone might think this really wasn't through lack of trying. Thanks for the messages of support. This was not an outcome anyone wanted and we're all gutted.
  7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yes, it's not easy is it ?
    I really hope you all find seats at other bands so you can continue to enjoy your banding.

Keep Blowing,

- Wilkie
  8. critic

critic Member

Iam sure every effort was made its a sad day for yourselves and the band movement i have great respect for mike fowles and i hope you all find other bands. i fear you will not be the last this year
  9. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Might I add my sympathies to all concerned at Stockport. A very fine band, too.

10. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

Really sad to hear of any band folding, lets hope it doesn't become even more regular in these difficult times econmically...

Good luck to all the former playes and the Musical Director.
  11. weenie

weenie Member

Yet another sad day for our movement. Best wishes to all involved with the band.
  12. statto81

statto81 New Member

Having been a past member of the BT Band (Mid 90’s, Flugel Horn), May I say how sad I was to hear that the band intends to close its doors. The band has had notable success in the past and I for one had some good times there. I wish to take this opportunity to wish all the existing players the best of luck in their future endeavours.

I currently conduct Carrbrook Brass Band and we are currently making good progress. We are looking for players to help out initially at The forthcoming Preston and NW Area contests. I am offering the chance to play with us as an ex member of the BT band. It doesn’t have to be permanent. We could do with some help on Percussion, Cornets, Euphonium and Eb and Bb Bass, I’m sure you would enjoy coming down and the opportunity to keep your lip in with no pressure whatsoever, if only for the contests. Come on, what have you got to lose. Come and enjoy yourselves!

I would welcome any help you could offer us. If you are interested call or mail me without hesitation, using the details below. Also, take a look at our Web Site.

Best Regards

Jason M Smith
    Conductor and Brass Tuition
    Tel: 07796 841315
  13. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Very very sad news - I had 4 amazing years at BT from 2002 - 2006.

You couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people and I had such fun there, achieving high musical standards to boot.

Gutted for everyone connected to the band.
  14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Echo of the above post, it was like a family being in the band. Sad it's come to this.
    I've got some amazing memories from being in the band.
  15. Al

Al Member

When Dobcross Silver dropped out of the Championship Section, 11 bands were competing in that section last year at the North West Areas. So now, this leaves 10 bands in the North West Championship Section.

From a contest organising point of view, I suppose it is a lot easier when a band dies after dropping down the sections, and eventually doesn't compete or exist anymore, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

There might need to be more rejigging through the sections other than the usual 2 up 2 down scenario, as the other sections seem relatively healthy and going by numbers alone, perhaps the North West could still stand 12 bands in the Championship?
  16. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

I know that the same questions were raised about other bands that have folded recently but why can't a band raise the money themselves to carry on?

My current band have financial worries - had we not had success at Pontins last year we would have ended the year well into the red with one of the band officials having to put his hand in his pocket to make sure that the band could pay debts etc.

The band have had no money for as long as I can remember and been down to 8 players but have maintained Championship section status.

We pay subs (even the students)
    We have negotiated our rehearsal facilities costs down to a manageable level - it's better that the room owners get SOME money rather than have it empty
    We don't have coaches to contests - if we absolutely have to we split the bill 28 ways
    We don't stay in hotels or pay our own room bills if we do
    We pay our conductor a sensible fee per rehearsal
    We buy our own walking out uniforms - only black blazers but they suffice
    We currently can't afford any new band ties and they've all disappeared so we go without
    We have no sponsorship - it was lost in 2000 and was £1500 per year
    We rely on friends to help us out to fill gaps at concerts and contests if required
    The Midlands isn't a hot-bed of banding and we had only 4 fee paying concerts all year - so we put on our own fundraisers (some a complete waste of time, some quite successful)

Please don't think that this is a "holier than thou" sort of posting; I'm saying that where there is a (sufficiently strong) will there is a way.

We've never hit the heady heights that BT did and perhaps, if we had of done, the players left when there were only 8 might have made a different decision about carrying on.

Yes, it costs me to play in the band but at the end of the day of I want to do that I have to put my hand in my pocket.

Perhaps I'm looking at this to simplistically and I'm sure that the players at BT/Stockport must have found it a heart wrenching decision to make. But there is always another choice......
  17. drummerdave

drummerdave Member

Sad Day Guys

This band was one I played in as a kid!So sorry to hear this news.I know how hard you tried to keep it going.
    Best wishes Dave.
  18. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Nice! I always like the subtle posts the best.
  19. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

A touch insensative and unrealistic Jason!
    Nowt like striking while the iron is hot!!
  20. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member