The Egham Band presents "Music from the Movies"

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by GJG, Oct 13, 2013.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Date: Sat. 19th October 2013

Time: 7:30pm

Venue:
    The Magna Carta Arts Centre
    Thorpe Road
    Staines-upon-Thames
    Middlesex
    TW18 3HJ

Tickets £5 per person, available on the
    door or can be reserved by emailing
    gwenythmoore@gmail.com
    *CHILDREN UNDER 16 FREE WITH A PAYING ADULT*

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Egham Band
    Music from the Movies
    FONT=TT15Dt00
    FONT
    SIZE
  3. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I'm intrigued to see my home town of Staines gaining the grandiloquent "upon-Thames". Is that official these days, Gareth? The town certainly has a long history dating back to Roman times. I believe the name Staines derives from "stepping stones", presumably to cross the river Thames.

Good luck with the concert.

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia:

"On 15 December 2011 the Spelthorne Borough Council voted 25 - 4, with 6 abstentions (including all the councillors for Staines ward itself) to change the name of the town to Staines-upon-Thames to try to boost the local economy by promoting its riverside location, and reportedly to discourage association with the fictional character Ali G.

The name change proposal originated with the Spelthorne Business Forum. A public consultation resulted in two to one approval, but there were some public objections, including one from the Staines Town Football Club which attempted to present 134 signatures to the council, but they were not received. Adopting the name change, the council resolved to call on residents, businesses and public organisations to use the name Staines-upon-Thames, and to call on the Surrey County Council and Runnymede Borough Council to use Staines-upon-Thames for all official business. Following a day of celebrations in the town including a regatta on the river, the Lord Lieutenant of Surrey, Dame Sarah Goad DCVO, formally changed the name on 20 May 2012 at 2pm. Royal Mail adopted the new name in mid-2012, having previously stated that the name would remain as Staines on the Postcode Address File."

Personally, I don't know of anyone locally who refers to is as anything other than "Staines".

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013